Vintage Mustang Forums banner

which headers for a 351W with P heads on a 65

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  TEDDYGT350 
#1 ·
Hey I've got a 1965 and I tossed in a 351W with GT40P heads that I had
I've got the Ron Morris adjustable poly mounts and a borgeson box
Please only post up if you've got valid suggestions for this combo. I'm not afraid of having to mod the headers, but the rest is staying as is
Post up any links you may have (jegs/summit/ebay/amazon) if you've got a suggestion, or the part #
Thanks so much
Matt

#2 ·
I have a P headed 302 in my 65. There were only 2-3 options when I researched for my application.

I used Mac long tube headers. I bought the ceramic coated ones but these are raw:

http://shop.macperformance.com/MAC-Ford-Mustang-260-289-302-64-70-Raw-Long-Tube-Headers-TF7466.htm

They will fit the heads but your plugs must be installed first. These are 1 5/8" primary with 2.5" collector. They are made for 289/302 option only and I have no idea what is required to modify a 302 header to fit 351w application in a 65.

Some have said the stock cast iron manifolds seem as they would clear the P heads but I'm not aware of anyone actually running these in a car. So a 351w cast iron manifold might work?

To my knowledge there is no header made specifically for your application.

#9 ·
I have "289" headers on my 351W in my '67 that replaced a 5.0 I had in there with the exact same long tube headers. Bought them at a swap meet some years back, seller thought they were Hedmans. Maybe. He had them on a '67 with a 289 he said. I didn't actually expect them to fit the 351W, I just tried for the heck of it. I don't think they could fit much better.
As a rule, 1979-1993 "Fox body" Mustang 5.0 headers DO NOT fit our vintage cars. The rare exceptions being people who have done a steering swap to a rack and pinion. Specifically a Mustang II type suspension swap. Otherwise the driver's side header runs slap into the steering gearbox. No reasonable modifications or hammering will alleviate the issue.

#11 ·
The closest fitting headers you can find will likely restrict flow and require cutting the shock towers.

Reasons, narrow bay, wide engine and heads that require headers go around spark plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.