Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Year of Manufacture Plates

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  RagTop 
#1 ·
Those of us who own 1963 - 1969 cars will be allowed to re-register them with year of manufacture plates effective July 1 (assuming Arnold doesn't close down the state government between now and then). I've got a set of yellow on black plates for my early build 69 Mustang (10/02/68) and a set of early yellow on blue plates for my late production 69 Vette (10/16/69). I believe they will charge $45 per car over and above the normal registration fees. You turn in your existing plates and let DMV verify that the plates you are using are in the proper number sequence for your year car, and you're good to go. How many of you vintage Mustang owners are planning to take advantage of this program?

#3 ·
Mike,
I've got some bad news. That dinner plate rode around in my trunk for a couple of years in the original presentation case (a paper bag from Safeway IIRC) and then some dip stick tossed something heavy in the trunk and, alas, the plate broke cleanly in half. I still have the pieces for sentimental reasons but the plate is no more.

#5 ·
Given the fact that the law takes effect on July 1, I'm betting you won't get much help from the DMV prior to that time. The people there that I've spoken to recently have no idea what I'm talking about. I think you just have to remove the old plates from your car and go down to DMV with the old ones and the ones you want to put on the car. You fill out the application form and pay them $45 per set of plates and they revise your registration and confiscate the old plates. That's about as much as I know.

#7 ·
I just paid my $90 and submitted applications for both my 69 Mustang and my 69 Corvette. As I filled out the applications I noticed that one of the rules was that autos would only receive black and yellow plates. Since I had blue and yellows for my Vette I just couldn't resist asking the question. The supervisor at the DMV told me that they have to send each application off to Sacramento for confirmation that the plates are appropriate to the vehicle, and that, despite what the application says, they will use the VIN to establish when the car was built and, thus, which plates would be correct. My Vette's VIN shows a build date of October 16, 1969. GM had a strike at their St. Louis plant that year and kept building 69 Vettes up to December 31, 1969. Hence, my car would have probably been originally registered no earlier than November of 1969 and the blue and yellow plates were being issued to the new registrations at that point. I guess I'll just have to wait for the DMV in Sacto to do their research and then, if rejected, challenge them.

#9 ·
Ken, sorry to burst you long-awaited bubble, but the budget morass had led the DMV to temporarily suspend the program. I'd post the notice from the DMV web site home page but since I'm posting this while on a work computer, it will not allow me to access-non-work sites. Sorry.

#11 ·
SAC69 said:
...since I'm posting this while on a work computer, it will not allow me to access-non-work sites.
Yes it is BS, hopefuly Ken didn't faint on us. When is VMF a work-related site?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.