Washington State - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
No sales tax in OR right? No hotel tax i noticed as well and that pumping gas for me was shocking You gotta feed the machine on way or another, no takers on here right?
How about WA?
That $6K is that after deductions like homestead, etc. or do ya'll have those?
People come to TX from CA and beach about the property taxes but I understand we have larger deductibles % wise that plus getting 4-5 times the size of house for the money helps.
What deductions? We get nothing but a slap when we clean up or remodel. Let's jack up more taxes on them. That's why most homes look run down. Used as rentals do to that is the only way to write off for taxes. And the average home size is 1500 sf. Cause it makes SENSE to those fools in Salem Oregon(Capital) to tax less for junkie and rip the good people off if you have nice or bigger. We should get a deduction if we spend what is left after the sucking sound stops from my wallet. And better the home. Well that's how I feel. Do not know the size of your homes in TX. Mine is 2000sf. There is NO incentive from the state to build any size of home. Did I mention Oregon should just put up signs that say no development welcome. Stay out!

Our city charges $1500 just to hook up the water in front of a lot before building. Not to mention the permit. I asked them if a case of Vaseline come with this deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is a good one. I have a large road sign in front of the building that is a eye sore. I asked ODOT to remove it. They said for $4000 they would relocate it. I asked what makes it that expensive to move a metal sign. Well bringing in the backhoe to load it on the trailer. Remove the concrete that is in the ground holding the sign. Installing a NEW metal pole since the old metal pole is not up to date to there standards. But yet they will put signs in today with 4x4 wooden poles. Hmm something is shady here. Pour new concrete and put the 4 threaded bolts in to bolt the new pole with the old sign on it. So I said heck. Let me come over with my 950 cat loader and load that sign on your trailer, Leave the old concrete in the ground since your going to cover it up with a sidewalk. Use the metal pole that has never had an issue in 40 yrs. Unlike those wooden ones your using. Nope they want to charge you for everything. I then asked will it take 6 guys to do a 2 man job like I always see you doing? Well the ugly sign is still there. I think he was a little upset when he left. I wonder If I run over that sign with the loader how many times would it take before they move it. Hmm
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 PM

Texas has a list of deductions/exemptions that resembles a phone book starting with your primary residence AKA homestead, then VETs, +disabled VET, or any disablities then over 65 my dad pays about $300 on $150K house. About 7-8 years ago mine was frozen AND rates were cut. There are lots of medium and large property owners on the "taker class" dole. My Mom had acreage with a house in E Texas several years. She got some odd credit for land NOT used for farm production, then a diminution of value deduction for the amount of timber that was logged every year. If only she had mineral rights she could have strip mined coal (its as little as 10' down) and the state prol would have owed her even more money.
You can claim you land as wildlife refuge exempt., maintained hunting exempt., credits for adding fencing, adding a water system, allowing public permit hunting, and on...

Last edited by 1ofAMillion+; 10-29-2015 at 06:15 PM.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Oh and this one. ODOT puts in a new sidewalk in front of my store. I tell the lady in charge I think the framing for the concrete is too high and it will cause a problem with the trucks coming into the lot. She said the would tapper the blacktop out so it is smooth to a 2% grade. I said ok I told you my opinion so I guess we will see. So next the pour then they come in and do a 6 inch tapper off the sidewalk towards my lot. Every freight truck/ horse trailer/ flatbed trailer that come over have there tires go up at least 4-6 inches then drop hard onto my lot. Now one would think watching this that the freight is being damaged, the horses/cows are being hurt. Taking a beating. So I call her boss. Next day a young fresh out of college well edgimacated (I spelled this wrong for a reason). Shows up takes a look and says well it is a 2 % grade so that's all we are going to do. Even though he sees a truck/trailer do the very thing I have said. So I tell him I guess I need to go over your head. So once again I go up the ladder. I get ahold of his boss. (something tells me there is way to much pork in this state agency) To many people up the ladder. So back to the story.
The new top boss comes over 2 days later bringing young dump in tow. All 3 of us are watching the trucks come in. I said now see the damage this is going to cause and the damage this will cause to my parking lot. He said well it is at 2 % . And I said so when a truck slows down to turn in because he knows how crappy the entrance is and a car slams into the trailer. I will be standing next to the people in the court room at the time your being sued. You know they came back the feathers 4 ft into my lot. Amazing how common sense comes out in the end.

I'm not a smart person but I did stay at a holiday inn express once. He He
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
Texas has a list of deductions/exemptions that resembles a phone book starting with your primary residence AKA homestead, then VETs, +disabled VET, or any disablities then over 65 my dad pays about $300 on $150K house. About 7-8 years ago mine was frozen AND rates were cut. There are lots of medium and large property owners on the "taker class" dole. My Mom had acreage with a house in E Texas several years. She got some odd credit for land NOT used for farm production, then a diminution of value deduction for the amount of timber that was logged every year. If only she had mineral rights she could have strip mined coal (its as little as 10' down) and the state prol would have owed her even more money.
You can claim you land as wildlife refuge exempt., maintained hunting exempt., credits for adding fencing, adding a water system, allowing public permit hunting, and on...

I do not have a farm. Live in the city. Maybe I should claim my dog/cats as family for a deduction on my taxes. If I dig down 5 ft I hit water, no coal here darn.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:09 PM

When I moved to WA back in 2001 we had to pay taxes on our new car we purchased in CT. The only reason we did is that we purchased the car within 6 months and had to pay the difference between CT taxes and WA taxes. My understanding (at least back then) is if you owned it longer than 6 months then there would not be a sales tax.

I think if you choose to move strictly for tax reasons you are making the wrong decision. If you still work in OR you will still have to pay their crazy high income tax. If you work from home or already work here that is a different story. I guess you have some time to think about it though. 2017 is a long time from now.

Darreld
1968 Convertible

333 with 511 rwhp and 550 rwtq, EFI, Vortech V2 trim blower with 12 lbs of boost, H2O/Meth Injection, T56 6 speed, JMC clutch, Steeroids rack, Ron Morris Front and TCP G-bar Rear Coilovers, Cobra brakes, NewGen wheels. Basically a money pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqA9...ature=related#
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 PM

4280 might be in a different situation than you as you stated that you had paid CT taxes on your vehicles. Oregon's lack of a 'sales tax' would trigger a 'use tax' when transferring the title to WA.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Portland is busting at the seams with so many people moving in. Out of state cars everywhere, mostly from CA but other states also. Our housing prices and rent are going through the roof. Are roads are constipated with cars. You have to avoid driving at curtain times. We need a good 6 months of rain to get rid of the sun worshipers!
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

sun worshipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan _MacDougall View Post
Portland is busting at the seams with so many people moving in. Out of state cars everywhere, mostly from CA but other states also. Our housing prices and rent are going through the roof. Are roads are constipated with cars. You have to avoid driving at curtain times. We need a good 6 months of rain to get rid of the sun worshipers!

Don't forget the tree huggers and the homeless everywhere on your side of the state.

Troy
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4280 View Post
Don't forget the tree huggers and the homeless everywhere on your side of the state.

Troy
Hah! No doubt we have allot of those. So many homeless on the street downtown. It must be brutal in the winter with all the rain living outside.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 PM

Commercial trucks pay a mileage tax when traveling on roads in Oregon, even if there are no stop offs. Last I heard they wanted to do that with private cars also. Last I heard, they want to attach a device to your car that will report the mileage driven to the state and tax you accordingly. I always wondered why people didn't live in WA and do all their shopping in Oregon, since they don't have a sales tax.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Commercial trucks pay a mileage tax when traveling on roads in Oregon, even if there are no stop offs. Last I heard they wanted to do that with private cars also. Last I heard, they want to attach a device to your car that will report the mileage driven to the state and tax you accordingly. I always wondered why people didn't live in WA and do all their shopping in Oregon, since they don't have a sales tax.

They are trying the mileage tax on the west side now. It will not fly on the east side. I sell my pellet/gas/wood stoves to a lot of Wa people. They have tried 11 or 12 times to get in a sales tax here. We tell them were to stick it every time. You would figure after being hit in the head 11-12 times they would stop that. But some people you can only lead to water then dunk there heads in and hold them down. Well that's how I think!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:11 PM

The grass is always greener...
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Mechanic View Post
The grass is always greener...
+1

I hear Somalia's nice, and no taxes.

Seriously, Forbes did a list a year or two back ranking effective tax rates across states based on a $50k income. Oregon and Washington both came in strictly mid-pack, Oregon at #35 with an effective rate of 10.10% and Washington at #24 with an effective rate of 9.4%. If that's a big enough spread to fry your hide, well, more power to you. Speaking for myself, I leave more than that difference in tips at my favorite coffee shop. I can think of plenty of other things that aggravate me more.

Forbes Welcome

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 AM

I know you're limited in how far you can go, because of your business, so probably wouldn't be worth moving. You'd still have to pay Oregon income tax, even living in Wa, for any income earned there I believe, and Wa property taxes aren't that much better than Or. Both Wa. and Or. love reaching into people's wallets for everything they can. I've lived in both states and now live in Idaho (near Spokane). Sales tax is lower than Wa., income taxes lower than Or, and property taxes lower than both (plus we like guns!).

Steve (we've met a few times, but it's been years ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page