Washington State - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Wink Washington State

Thinking of moving from Oregon to Washington. Just received my tax bill on my home. It jumped $853.00 in one yr. I'm almost at $6000 . I figure I can own two houses in Washington state for the same tax , and have one as a rental.

Common Sense thinker. This is why I do not work for the government.

Your thoughts fellow VMF ? Pros v Cons

Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4280 View Post
Thinking of moving from Oregon to Washington. Just received my tax bill on my home. It jumped $853.00 in one yr. I'm almost at $6000 . I figure I can own two houses in Washington state for the same tax , and have one as a rental.

Common Sense thinker. This is why I do not work for the government.

Your thoughts fellow VMF ? Pros v Cons

Troy
I would look into it. I live in Beaverton and they pass every bond and the gov keeps expanding at an alarming rate. Our property tax's go up allot every year, even when the housing value drops. If my wife would agree I would look into it also. All big business I hear are tax free, Intel, Nike, and PGE to mention a few. We the people take all the burden. With our OR flat rate tax ~9.3%, the middle and low income take it on the chin. One suggestion is you may want to buy new cars before you move since WA tax's them heavily.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 AM

I may be a little biased but WA State is the best state around and I can't wait to move back. As for buying the car in OR and moving to WA, that won't work. WA has what's called a Use tax for your car when you register it. Since WA has a sales tax and OR doesn't, people would keep crossing the border to avoid the tax (I tried) but then you have to register it in the state. The Use tax is a similar amount to WA state sales tax. The only way to avoid it is by proving you already paid a state sales tax on the car.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

My wife would move tomorrow. It's me that is holding out since we have a daughter in college at Eastern Oregon. Being 1 1/2 hrs away now is workable. I have a feeling we will list our house in 2017 when she is finished.

Troy
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj220 View Post
I may be a little biased but WA State is the best state around and I can't wait to move back. As for buying the car in OR and moving to WA, that won't work. WA has what's called a Use tax for your car when you register it. Since WA has a sales tax and OR doesn't, people would keep crossing the border to avoid the tax (I tried) but then you have to register it in the state. The Use tax is a similar amount to WA state sales tax. The only way to avoid it is by proving you already paid a state sales tax on the car.
I purchased my 2013 Escape new as an Oregon resident, what tax would I pay if moving to WA? I love everything about OR except the tax's. My wife will never move to WA.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:31 PM

You didn't mention whether you work in Oregon or not. That's a big factor. I'd rather pay $10,020,945,201 in taxes then make the commute across the river and back every day.

------------------------------------------------------------

'68 convertible restoration "almost done". See Ol' Rusty's progress at 68Vert.BlogSpot.Com

MCA #72655
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Here's some more info on it. I used to know more but this was three years ago when I last really looked into it. Worst case, I'd call the WA DOL for your situation.

Use tax

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Use tax for vehicles and boats
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I can see why she would not. You have all the shopping/dining right in the area you live. As for us , Small town . So moving to Tricities Washington would be a plus since they have all the shopping and dining. Washington wants growth. Oregon would rather stick a sign up that says stay away. I agree with my wife the grass looks greener over the river. To brake it down , I see buildings going up left and right over there. I built a commercial building down here and it was a mess to do. From the date of purchase of the land till the first lease took 8 yrs. I had to fight to get things done the whole step of the way. Even though I beat City/County/State/DEQ/building inspector/ electrical inspector. They all put road blocks in my way. Really was not there to help except City even though I built in urban growth area. They did some what help to step out of the way. DEQ was the worst, I had to get a Senator to step in to resolve in my favor. Amazing it took so long to do. Would I build again. NO not here. The big laugh was when the State said they was working on getting the whole process changed to make it easy to build after I went through my process. It is now harder. Go figure.

Ok done venting. HE HE
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan _MacDougall View Post
I purchased my 2013 Escape new as an Oregon resident, what tax would I pay if moving to WA? I love everything about OR except the tax's. My wife will never move to WA.
Since you bought it new, you would be on the hook for the sales (use) tax of the blue book on it if you were to transfer the title from OR to WA. If you were to 'buy' an OR plated vehicle and transfer the title to WA as a resident, you could make a case to pay the tax for the 'purchase' price on the sales receipt (which is generally lower).
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4280 View Post
I can see why she would not. You have all the shopping/dining right in the area you live. As for us , Small town . So moving to Tricities Washington would be a plus since they have all the shopping and dining. Washington wants growth. Oregon would rather stick a sign up that says stay away. I agree with my wife the grass looks greener over the river. To brake it down , I see buildings going up left and right over there. I built a commercial building down here and it was a mess to do. From the date of purchase of the land till the first lease took 8 yrs. I had to fight to get things done the whole step of the way. Even though I beat City/County/State/DEQ/building inspector/ electrical inspector. They all put road blocks in my way. Really was not there to help except City even though I built in urban growth area. They did some what help to step out of the way. DEQ was the worst, I had to get a Senator to step in to resolve in my favor. Amazing it took so long to do. Would I build again. NO not here. The big laugh was when the State said they was working on getting the whole process changed to make it easy to build after I went through my process. It is now harder. Go figure.

Ok done venting. HE HE
Not sure about the Eastern side of the state but you will want to target the I-5 corridor north of Tacoma if you want more 'growth' oriented mindsets in government and populace. The Olympia council seems to want to revert the area back into the horse & buggy standard though Lacey seems to be more progressive at this time.

Spokane seems to be getting a reputation for being more growth friendly also. The climate is not for everyone, though.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:07 PM

I grew up outside of Seattle and love the area however, I have very little desire to actually go to downtown Seattle anymore. The leadership is terrible, the city is running into issues, etc. The Eastside and surrounding areas are much better and I would suggest going there. I've heard good things about Spokane these days and you're not far from great skiing (the Cascades have some great mountains, too), but I like being nearer the water.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Have a sister in law in Spokane , Not liking the weather. She is thinking of moving south to Tricites as well.

I will stick to the East side. TOO many crazies on the West side. I lived in Portland for 2 years did not like it. Nor the 33 days straight of rain, The day I moved down there. Depressive! Besides I like my guns. And this is a whole other discussion that I bet should NOT be talked about. Shush be quit, me bad!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM

By Eastside I mean east of Lake Washington, but west of the mountains. I think you'd be surprised at the people you'll encounter once you get outside of the downtown Seattle area. Also, I do like the rain but it's not for everyone.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:34 PM

My .02, from living here for decades (?) but not *from* here:

We bought our house (about an hour north of Seattle) in 2002. Of course, the market tanked in 2008, and it just now has recovered to it's sale price 13 years ago (according to the County Tax Assessor). IMHO, our taxes are atrocious, but I have nothing to compare them to. The crime rate has also skyrocketed in that same time frame. My advice would be to look up houses where your're looking at buying on the county's website to see how much the taxes went up (Snohomish County has them listed for 5 or 6 years), and to also look up the crime incident history.

I avoid Seattle at all costs, and fly out of Bellingham instead of Seatac. The traffic all the way up to Everett is horrid, unless you work weird hours, and the new I-405 tolling is a joke.

So, in a nutshell, I would move *away* if I could. About the only good thing is that we live in an emission-exempt area. :-/

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1989 GT, 1997 F250 diesel, 2005 retired OSP Crown Vic, 2015 Focus ST-2
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 PM

No sales tax in OR right? No hotel tax i noticed as well and that pumping gas for me was shocking You gotta feed the machine on way or another, no takers on here right?
How about WA?
That $6K is that after deductions like homestead, etc. or do ya'll have those?
People come to TX from CA and beach about the property taxes but I understand we have larger deductibles % wise that plus getting 4-5 times the size of house for the money helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page