Gauge Refurbishing - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > All Years Vintage Mustang Services > Services Classifieds
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gauge Refurbishing

*For more information on gauge refurbishment please see my web site classychassisrestoration.com

If your gauges no longer work, if they bounce wildly or you would just like them tuned up and calibrated, I would love to help you out.

I have been refurbishing vintage gauges from various vehicles for over 15 years. I have refurbished hundreds of gauge clusters, everything from classic Broncos, Mustangs, MOPAR, vintage boats and airplanes.

The cost to refurbish a gauge cluster is $50.00 and includes the following:

1. Disassemble the Alt, Temp, fuel and oil gauges to check for function.
2. Clean all internal electrical connections.
3. Repairing any internal damage the gauge may have.
4. Oil the mechanical portion of the Electro Mechanical gauge.
5. Calibrate the needle.
6. Paint the needle with factory florescent orange ultra violet resistant paint.
7. Disassemble the Head unit.
8. Check the magnetic strength of the speedometer magnet and recharge it if necessary.
9. Remove the odometer drum.
10. Clean and oil the odometer drum.
11. Set the mileage to the desired number.
12. Check and clean the speedometer gears.
13. Apply synthetic grease to all internal gears.
14. Paint the speedometer needle with factory florescent orange ultra violet resistant paint.
15. Reset the odometer to the numbers of your choice.
16. Paint internal bezel the color of your choice.
17. Paint the exterior bezel the color of your choice.
18. Use silicone conditioner on the gasket between external bezel and the glass.
19. Replace broken glass if necessary.

I will make any of the following modification in conjunction with the refurbishment for no additional cost although you will need to pay for the parts. I will order the parts and add the cost to your final bill.

1. Ammeter to Voltmeter conversion.
2. Apply white face decals on all gauges.
3. Install luminescent gauge inserts.
4. LED bulb conversion.
5. Speedometer cable gear change to account for larger size tires. This modification is recommended if you have oversized tires and your speedometer is not accurate.

In my experience, many of the problems people experience with their gauges can be fixed without new parts. I am not quick to say the gauge is broken and just replace it. I spend between two and three hours detailing each cluster.

If all of your gauges work, or as long as I can fix the ones that are broken, the refurbishment will only cost you $50.00. If I am unable to fix a broken part, I will contact you and ask if you would like me to order a new part along with the additional cost.

After refurbishing several hundred gauges I have only come across a small percentage that were beyond repair and most of those had physical damage.
Because I don't know how much work your cluster needs without looking at it I can't give you a firm quote until I have it in my hands.

When your gauge refurb is complete I will contact you with the total cost of the refurb. The turn around time is between one and two weeks.

Please pack your gauge cluster very well and I recommend that you get the shipping insurance and value the cluster at a minimum of $200.00, the insurance costs about $4.00 and shipping is usually between $10 and $15 (you pay both ways). Please send your gauge cluster to:

Kevin Capito
1275 East Fort Union Blvd Ste# 120
Midvale, Utah 84047

When your gauge cluster is finished being refurbished I will contact you with the final amount.

I accept payment by check, money order or PayPal. If using PayPal send money to kevin@classychassisrestoration.com

Also, please send me a detailed email explaining exactly what your gauges are doing or not doing. This helps me to better fix any problems it might have.

If you have any questions please feel free to call or email me.
kevin@classychassisrestoration.com
801-673-2933

Here is a before and after picture of a classic Bronco gauge cluster I did. when this cluster was sent to me none of the gauges worked. This cluster spent many years exposed to the elements and there was severe rusting both inside and out. Now everything works and it looks great.

Last edited by fallingdown; 12-28-2010 at 02:52 PM.
fallingdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check out my gauge refurbishing thread over at ClassicBroncos.com

Gauge cluster refurbishing - ClassicBroncos.com Forums
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is a gauge cluster in a 1964 ford galaxie that I recently refurbished.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here are before and after pictures of two gauge clusters out of a 1965 and 1966 Mustang.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would like to know from your professional experience and knowledge, if my temperature gauge on a 1966 Mustang rapidly climbs up to H, is it a common problem is it possible the gauge is faulty and needs recalibration? I heard a lot that they are unreliable

http://1966mustang.files.wordpress.c...forum-sig1.jpg
Check out my blog - My 1966 Mustang
199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199 View Post
I would like to know from your professional experience and knowledge, if my temperature gauge on a 1966 Mustang rapidly climbs up to H, is it a common problem is it possible the gauge is faulty and needs recalibration? I heard a lot that they are unreliable

A gauge that its not calibrated correctly or a bad sending unit would cause the situation you are describing. As far as the temperature gauge not being reliable, I would say that is not true. The electromechanical gauges are remarkably robust and can withstand tremendous amounts of abuse as well as electrical spikes better than an electronic gauge can. If you are saying that it is not as accurate as an electronic gauge I would agree with you on that.

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bump
Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Curiosity Peaked

Hmmm while this was not on my to do list you have peaked my curiosity and mine while mostly working could use some TLC. I sent you an email via your webiste.

Rod
rme1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Nice work, is your current turn around time 2 weeks?
Thanks
Classic Car Auto Insurance
Sixty8GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty8GT View Post
Nice work, is your current turn around time 2 weeks?
Thanks
Two weeks is a safe bet. We can usually accommodate a quicker turn around time if you have a car show coming up or something like that.

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow great work! So with regards to calibration speedometer etc you'd just need to know the size of the tires being used?
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do you also detail and do vacuum plating for dash panels? I have a set of 70 Mach 1 panels that are already chromed, need them detailed.
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.