Collector Car Insurance - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Collector Car Insurance

Hello,

I am at renewal and was checking pricing. I tried the usual suspects like Grundy, Hagerty, and Safeco but they start at $270 and go up. I have an existing policy for $208/yr with a $22,000 value for my 1970 Mach1. Anyone getting a better deal or is this the going rate now?

When I was in CA it was a bit cheaper and with the move to AZ last year it jumped.

Thanks, Rick

Rick Allen/Prescott Valley, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:46 AM

Garage
If you have agreed value then $208/yr. for $22,000 coverage doesn't sound bad..I have $10,000 agreed value on my 70 (which i need to raise) and pay $120 a year for full coverage through State Farm..Sounds like your getting the going rate with who ever your with.

Last edited by Horsehead; 02-08-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Just got insurance on my bucket. It's still in process and not a driver. Garage kept. Agreed value @ 15k. I'm paying $120

65 Coupe, long road to being roadworthy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Trouble

I have Grundy for my three Mustangs and enclosed trailer. My 1968 coupe and fastback are at $40,000 each, my 1971 Mach I is at $5,000 (not on road), and my trailer is at $10,000. My annual payment is about $600. I switched from Hagerty several years ago because they wanted close to $1,000 minus the Mach I. Heacock's price was pretty comparable to Grundy's, but they were way too restrictive. This is a stated value policy.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
Moby, 1971 Mach I - Occasional Driver
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. We just moved to AZ this last March and had to get insurance quickly so was just pricing alternatives at renewal.

Rick Allen/Prescott Valley, AZ
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 12:20 PM

I have all my insurance policies thru one company. I've had 2 claims in 30 odd years & a clean driving record.
$25K agreed value on my 65 FB, full coverage, no milage restrictions except I can't use it as a DD.
$67 bucks a year.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:23 PM

I have my car policy valued at $30 K, no limit on mileage, roadside protection-unlimited for $280 a year.

1966 "C" Code Fastback, Ford crate 306, T5, 3.80 Trak Lok Rear, Sub-frame connectors, Tri-Y headers, Shelby drop with an empty wallet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIII View Post
I have all my insurance policies thru one company. I've had 2 claims in 30 odd years & a clean driving record.
$25K agreed value on my 65 FB, full coverage, no milage restrictions except I can't use it as a DD.
$67 bucks a year.
That is a low rate!! If i could ask is it a local insurance carrier or a big name company? I've had at least 2 classic vehicles insured at the same time for the last 25+ years. They are not daily drivers and have agreed value. Have not had any claims or accidents (clean driving record) and pay State Farm about twice that for half the coverage you have....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM

Try J. C. Taylor, Condon & Skelly, American Collectors. All have competitive rates.

I've been with all three over the last 4 decades, currently with J. C. Taylor.

J. C. Taylor is the grand daddy of antique and collector car insurance, having been the first to pioneer the coverage. Condon & Skelly and American Collectors came later on in the 70s or 80s and everybody else copied from there.

All three have websites and you can deal direct with them to get quotes and buy coverage.

My 67 Cougar is insured for $11,000 with $300,000 for liability. Total premium about $120 per year.

Stay away from State Farm and other regular insurance companies. They are clueless about collector car insurance.

Keep in mind that the collector car insurance companies do not cover the car on the day you ask for it. You have to submit your application, photos, and money. Coverage could actually take a week or two to attach so make sure you apply at least two to four weeks prior to your current expiration.

For those of you who are new to AZ and/or to collector car insurance, if your car is 1967 and newer and you are in a county that requires emissions testing, you are exempt from emissions if your car is on a collector policy.

I am a retired insurance agent and claims adjuster. If anybody has questions about insurance I'll be happy to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page