3-Link for the '71-73 years - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

3-Link for the '71-73 years

Just wanting to share something we've been working on...

I have been asked many times if our 3-Link fits the '71-73 years. The answer has always been, "I'm not sure as I've never tried". I did have a customer buy one a while back who I knew would make it work no matter what, but I needed to see for myself if there were any tweaks that needed to be done.

So, I asked around and a local gent jumped at the chance to see if it would work on his 73. Thad brought the car over Tuesday morning:

Seems he was shooting for the Mad Max look. I think it works.

First order of business was to see if the Watts Link and 3rd Link frame fit. To my delight they slid right in!

One area that concerned me was the gas tank. Unlike the 65-70 cars, the 71-73 have an actual trunk floor and the tank mounts on the underside and is held there with straps. These straps hook into a cross member behind the axle housing:

The problem being this is right where the Watts Link frame sits. No problem, we elongated the slots toward the rear of the car:

Next I needed the gas tank. Thad delivered it in yet another cool car:

I'm beginning to think Thad doesn't drive boring cars like most... Anyways, I quickly found that the flange around the tank hit the Watts Link frame so it had to be bent upwards:

With that done, the tank fit great:

Next I whipped out my mock up Floater rear end and hung some shocks on it:

I put the bonkers Mickey Thompson wheels and tires back on it and it all looks like it's going to work so far:

I still have to connect the Watts Link bars and run the suspension through a ride/roll study, just to make sure it's all going to clear. I am going to start to build a fancy new Floater housing for it though...

When I first saw this car on the trailer I was a little shocked at first! I wasn't expecting huge cut out quarters and giant tires. I have to say though, with it all sat down low on the 3-Link with those giant wheels stuffed up into the arches it kinda looks pretty bad A**!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Stick a fork in this one! It fits!

The customer opted for us to build him one of our Full Floating rear ends with the 3-Link brackets already installed. This makes installation so much nicer and he ends up with a superior rear end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page