6 Piston calipers and 14" rotors! - Vintage Mustang Forums

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shaun
  • 2 Post By Shaun

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

6 Piston calipers and 14" rotors!

Nobody ever steps out of my car and complains that the brakes are too good!

Just like horsepower, I don't believe you can ever have too much. Wanting to push the envelope even more I wanted to see how much rotor and what size caliper I could stuff under a 17" wheel. Turns out quite a lot!

I had my foundry whip me up a 14" rotor based off the same 1.25" wide one we use in our 13" system. This new rotor fits to the same aluminum hat which saves us weight and sets the massive caliper inboard enough so pretty much all wheels clear axially. At only 12oz's heavier than our 13" rotor this is good news as the extra mechanical leverage is certainly felt through the pedal. The brake package is extremely stiff giving great pedal feedback and good modulation.

The caliper is a monster. Its 11.25" long! The 6 stainless pistons are in what is called a 'staggered bore' arrangement. What this means is that the leading edge pistons are smaller than the trailing edge piston. This practically eliminates longitudinal pad taper wear.

Our mounting brackets are a work of art. My CAD guy spent ages putting these together and after a few revisions with our engineer we have some beautiful and very strong pieces.

The caliper is radial mount so we Loctite ARP studs into the intermediate bracket for the caliper to slide on, then ARP 12pt nuts hold it in place.

We also have brackets available for the '68-73 DISC spindle.

For more information and pictures please visit our website - Street or Track 14x1.25" Rotor 6 Piston Forged Aluminum Caliper Brake System
Grabber70Mach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Just had a customer go through the upgrade path from our 13", 4 piston system to this new 14", 6 piston.

We designed the system to incorporate the same large offset hat so the new giant 6 piston caliper clears most wheel spokes. It also shares the same hubs and most of the caliper mounting brackets. Sharing parts helps us keep the retail costs down and enables customers an upgrade path if they wish.

13", 4 piston system fitted:

14", 6 piston system fitted. The upgrade includes the 14" rotors, 6 piston calipers and the new radial mount bracket and hardware:

New 14", 6 piston system fitted behind a 17" Vintage Wheel Works V45.
Grabber70Mach and Boom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page