Where to look for your first classic? - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
gaw

Where to look for your first classic?

Hello everyone,
I live in the DFW area. I've been searching for my first classic for about a year. I'm wanting a 65-66 black or white mustang convertible. I would like it to be an auto with black pony interior and p/s, a/c and power top. Disc brakes would be nice, too. It could be a 289 or 5.0 motor. Most I'm wanting to spend is 25k.

I've looked on ebay, craigslist, hemmings, streetsideclassic, gatewayclassiccars, etc. and if I do find the right color, it's 50k or more. I've looked at performance mustangs in Houston but after doing a search on here about them, I'm not sure who to believe as far as if they're a good place to purchase from at this point.

Where do you find your classic cars?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 PM

Garage
25K for exactly what you want is possible, although not likely. If you're looking for something to drive and not have to touch, sorry to say but you'd better add another $10K to your budget.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM

Garage
Those are very specific parameters. I think you're checking the right places, you're just looking for a needle in a haystack. Good luck on your search, and hello to another DFW Metroplexian.
Bullitt 736 and gaw like this.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:25 PM

Garage
I just bought my dream car and I had been looking for at least 15 years. During that time alternate models came up that I almost jumped on, but finally, the right car showed up. I also agree that you are looking in the right places, but might also look into your local area Mustang club. Often times there is a nice car sitting in someones garage waiting for restoration but never gotten to. That one could be yours. $35K is about entry level for a decent car equiped as you desire.

I hope for your sake, and am glad for mine that I didn't have to wait until I was drooling in a nursing home when I found it.

1967 Mustang convertible
1941 Ford Pickup
1940 Buick Roadmaster convertible coupe
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
gaw

Thanks for your responses...I hope I don't have to wait until I'm in the nursing home. lol

I guess I have unrealistic expectations for that price range. I had a VM member who PM about selling me their very nice mustang convertible for 25k. It didn't have the auto or ac and I can't remember about the power top, so I figured I was close to getting what I wanted in my price range or prices have gone up quite a bit in the last 6 months.

Last edited by gaw; 10-31-2016 at 09:04 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 AM

Carshows!, Swapmeets like the one in Pate have nice cars that show up to be sold.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:52 PM

Garage
I don't think prices have gone up in the last 6 months, I think it has more to do with your wants, and our our collective assumption that you want it in "nice" (whatever that means) condition.

I think your specific color requirements are your biggest limiting factor, followed by the fact that you're looking for a car that is essentially loaded with options. You'll find budget flexibility by easing up on your requirements with the understanding that pretty much anything can be added. Also, depending on the condition of the car, you can find more room in your budget. For example, if you'd be ok with a car that was optioned close to what you want but needs paint, you can likely find one in the high teens/low-20's, then paint it the color you want. Obviously, that is not necessarily an easy or cheap thing to do, but you'd have more options.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:06 PM
MWM

Be sure to network through the local clubs:
North Texas Mustang Club NTMC
Shelby Cobra Association of Texas SCAT
AACA Local Chapter

Helps to go to the meetings. That's how you meet members and they can help you in your search. Doesn't work as well over the phone. If you are patient you will find your car. That's how I got mine years ago!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
gaw

BlakeTX...as you stated..."our collective assumption that you want it in "nice" (whatever that means) condition." and "depending on the condition of the car, you can find more room in your budget."

I think that's where I'm heading... At first, I really just wanted to buy a car I could get in and drive without getting into add-ons, paint, repairs, etc. but I think, realistically, that find will be a needle in the haystack (as you stated) for the price I'm wanting to stay at...I'm not a professional mechanic or body man. I can take care of small things but the larger things would have to go to someone else to do. So, if I see a car I really like and it's a manual and I want an auto and it doesn't have a/c and I want it, I could always add those later but I'm not sure what kind of time and expense it is to do those things since I've never owned a classic.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:27 PM

Garage
I understand wanting a specific color, but it's hard to go wrong with red.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5856469076.html

For that price you can get the A/C installed and buy pony interior parts.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
gaw

Yeah...I probably need to rethink my whole strategy...red is my least favorite of the colors...(sorry red lovers)...I even saw a gold 66 vert that I like although it has a manual and no a/c, but it's in Florida.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Here is a tip - check local newspaper or penny saver classifieds. The "old school" non-computer savvy car guys will still post a classified ad in the paper. That is how I found my '65.

Also, another tip would be to go hit your local cars & coffee meet ups. Always lots of for sale signs in dashboards, as well as car guys who might have a tip to someone who might be willing to part with the car you are looking for.

eBay is a pretty good resource as well; their search features work well to narrow down your results, although prices tend to be inflated by dealers there.

Don't buy a classic car without a thorough inspection by an expert. Hit up a Mustang club or a Mustang-centric shop near where the car is located and have them go through it with a fine toothed comb so you know what you are buying.

Good luck, hope you find THE car!
BlakeTX likes this.

'65 Vert 289 Blue on Blue, White Top. PS/PB/C4 Auto
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
gaw

Since I'm trying to back off some of my requirements so that I can stay around 25k, I'm finding some "T" I6 mustang convertibles that have been converted to V8. Are they worth the 25k-27k that they are asking? Are there cons to buying a converted one?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw View Post
Since I'm trying to back off some of my requirements so that I can stay around 25k, I'm finding some "T" I6 mustang convertibles that have been converted to V8. Are they worth the 25k-27k that they are asking? Are there cons to buying a converted one?
Unless you know what to look for you find end up with a "half converted" car. Its alot more then sticking a V8 under the hood. If they are fully converted then its really the same as any other car minus the Vin code won't match.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Since the Canadian dollar has fallen compared to the US, you could also look up here in Canada. Even with the extra shipping costs and going through a Broker, you will save a lot of $$

Currently 1 US dollar = 1.35 Canadian

So, if you found a 25K CAN car up here, it would only cost you 18.5K USD

Some food for thought

Up here, most cars are listed on a website called Kijjii

here is a link to search all of Canada.
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-canada/l0

68Hildago...

Last edited by 68Hildago; 11-23-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page