Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Floor Pan's

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Drealmckoy 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I could get some new floorpans installed in the Plano (Dallas) area? Also roughly what something like this costs? It seems I have been bamboozled a little by the previous owner. There are large pieces of sheet metal that have been screwed on from the bottom side of the car to hide some rust holes. I knew to expect rust on a '71 but it's looking like I am going to have to replace the floorboards quicker than I thought. So back to the question at hand, has anyone gotten this work done in the area and can you tell me what kind of money I'm looking at spending to get this type of work done?

Jason

#3 ·
Go pro. Do not try and do them yourself. Been there/done that. I paid a little over $200 15 years ago at a place south of FtW (Jerry Flowers of NTMC). Front pans, primed and sealed.
Price has probably dropped significantly due to the low cost aftermarket repro now available. Also such work is no longer "specialized" as it was back in those days. Here's a hint: with ANY body shop work, always do as much of the work yourself as possible. Drive your Stang to the shop with the ground showing in large areas--that alone will save you $60 (one-hour of labor). Then you can crack jokes about the Flintstones...blah blah blah.
Let us know how it goes
Paul

#4 ·
You paid $200 15 years ago and the price should have dropped??? With all due respect, you can't be serious. Have you had anything done at a bodyshop these days. If you find a shop that will do them that cheap let me know. I will send them some work.

Lstar

#6 ·
Yeah I know to expect to pay a premium for body work, and I know to do anything that I can myself to save time and money. My thoughts are to gut the entire interior compartment, and take it to them with nothing more than a seat in it. I was just wondering if anyone had done any type of work like this in the area. I don't trust anyone anymore when it comes to body work because of the shoddy work I have seen come out of some well known extablishments. I'm also concerned with just the average body shop doing this type of work, as they are more of an assembly line, replace the parts type place not a take your time and fit a part correctly type place.

MustangPainter, shoot me an e-mail at Jason@Skwarek.com. I am always very interested in keeping the fellow hobbiest in business over the "Man". Like I said shoot me an e-mail so we can discuss this at length, I am very familiar with the Parker area. My only concern would be turn around time.

Jason

#7 ·
Myself and a friend are just beginning to hack up his 68 vert. You name it, it will have to be replaced. To tell you the truth, I'd rather do all the metal replacement and weather proofing stuff myself, that way I know it's done right. I have not done this type of work before, but I looking forward to learning. We are hoping to get the metal work done by Christmas. If you can wait a bit till we learn on his car, we may be able to help you out.

Paul

#9 ·
I've got a little Licoln 110 mig welder and all the tools to do it myself, I have just never done it myself and I know the damage a cold weld can do, or how badly you can mess something up being a junior welder. I figured for something like floor pans I would be better off having a professional or at least an experienced person do this type of work. I'd hate to be driving down the road one day and my butt ends up on the ground do to bad welding.

When I talk to MustangPainter I hope we can figure something out, I do know one thing, I would like to be as involved as possible without getting in his way. I am always looking to learn and watch, and I take lots of pictures of all my cars.
Jason

#12 ·
Ill be doing my floor pans, and inner rocker panel next weekend on my 67 convertible. your welcome to come and see how we do it... I live in fort worth.. Im not a pro but Ive done it before, its not hard at all, just work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.