Torque arm install question - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Torque arm install question

Ok so I'm getting going with this install, 68 vert and well, I had to get the grinder out. Didn't think I would have to with this kit, so my question is this, is my car that far off or is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM

I bought a 66 vert project with TCI front and rear torque arm suspension. The work overall done on the car was poor, no problem with the TCI parts themselves. Part of the floor pan, frame rails, etc had been replaced and I had to cut the same part of the floor to get the torque arm frame to fit correctly. The PO had elongated holes and tried to jam it in place. :-(
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah these parts are solid as can be, I'm very impressed in that regard. Just didn't think I'd have to do so much cutting to get it to fit.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableguyJJS3 View Post
Ok so I'm getting going with this install, 68 vert and well, I had to get the grinder out. Didn't think I would have to with this kit, so my question is this, is my car that far off or is this normal?

This modification isn't normally required. I will forward this over to Sal our VP so he can put some eyes on it. Have you been in contact with our tech department?

-J
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I went back down to the garage last night and had a good look at things some more now that I have had a few days to think things through. My floor braces appear to be installed off from front to rear a touch judging by looking at the hole that go through the brace to get to the seat bolts. And I see that reflected in the misalignment of the bolt hole in the bracket to the bolt holes in the brace. I would call that an expectation with having had new floor and braces and frame rails and all that just installed. The height difference is what's getting me, it's almost like the floor is installed to deep, or the flanges welded on the tube of the brace aren't far enough down on the tubes. I can't see how the floor could be installed to deep, not by anything I know to look at anyway.

So I will make some mods to the floor brace to get the bolts holes to line up and address the height issue. I was contemplating cutting the flanges off the tubes and reposition them to better align with the floor brace in addition to modify the floor brace for the height issue, but looking closer I don't think I will do that. The welds on the flange of the brace structure, and the structure itself is all tied together so perfectly, I fear my cutting them off and either trying to reuse them or make new ones would compromise the strength of the whole thing and I'm not willing to risk that. I'll weld it all together and get it to fit together and move on. The bolt holes in the floor brace won't be centered front to rear anymore but they will be there and be used so I don't think the off center part will affect anything strength wise and that's what I am most concerned with.

I have not spoken with anyone from your tech department no. I wanted check in here and see about it being something more with my car as opposed to the kit. Maybe it's a bit of both, which is what I believe, but it is what it is, I'll make the fix and move forward, this is hot rodding man! I expected this stuff to a degree, but this was a bit more than I expected so just thought I'd ask. Thanks for the info. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page