Vintage Mustang Forums banner

I'm thinking of doing this...will it work?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  silverblueBP 
#1 ·
I've never cared for my seating situation in the 66. Move the seat so my legs are comfortable and I'm too far from the wheel. Perfect for the wheel and I'm too close for my legs. Makes it hard to brake, heel & toe shifting. Currently the new full containment seat is great for my legs but causes my leg to hit the underside of the wheel while braking/shifting.
I don't want to rip it all out and lower the seat pan unless that is my only or last option. I have a removable wheel and had this thought.

What about making a spacer that will go between the back side of the wheel and the hub? I only need the wheel to move towards me 1"-2" and it would fit great. Any other ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Machining a piece to fit the spline and your wheel might work. It will probably be longer than you expect to get enough contact area. It will also raise the wheel, you might feel like a kid at a booth in a diner, looking up to see over the wheel. To compensate you might have to space the column down a bit. While I'm at the column, doesn't it have some room to move it toward you a bit, or did you already try that?

#5 ·
Looks like a pretty serious build, I would recommend the Woodward column as well. You have come this far might as well get the most important things (safety, car control) right. Those columns are not cheap, but hitting things (moving or stationary) will be far more expensive. And not being comfortable at the wheel while on track is NEVER good. If you don't want that look maybe go Ididit or similar with tilt to solve the problem?

#6 ·
After disassembling the coupler, I see I can use a simple 2" aluminum spacer. Initial testing , pulling it 2" towards me while seated does not put it in a bad spot at all. Only moves it upwards a fraction. TBH, that's what is needed. It gets the wheel away from my legs and allows more space for leg movement.

The Woodward steering shaft is one nice piece. If I wanted to completely re-do the entire unit, that would be the way to go!

2.468" OD
1.187" ID
2" high

Drilling the fastener holes is easy.

Now, to find someone that will mill it...

#8 ·
I have the 15" Moto-Lita wheel and felt the exact same way. I bought a 1" Moto-Lita spacer already milled and bolted it on. Now my legs and arms fit perfectly!

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
I did the same extension for my quick release. Been tracking it for two seasons with no issues. I put my steering wheel and seat position so I was copying how the nascar drivers sit. If they can stay that way for four hours I'm good for 20 minute secessions. Longest I've done is 40 minutes and I was confrontable. I have my kirkey seat tilted back more.

Attachments

#12 ·
Yup, made my spacer out of oak 1" filled the pores with Bondo and satin black - looks great - then while putting in the EPAS, I put the steering wheel right where I wanted it, about another inch closer then set the column length north of the unit to put it there. Another freebee is to lower the clutch and brake pedals an inch, looks like your clutch is already lower...Very happy now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.