I'm thinking of doing this...will it work? - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of doing this...will it work?

I've never cared for my seating situation in the 66. Move the seat so my legs are comfortable and I'm too far from the wheel. Perfect for the wheel and I'm too close for my legs. Makes it hard to brake, heel & toe shifting. Currently the new full containment seat is great for my legs but causes my leg to hit the underside of the wheel while braking/shifting.
I don't want to rip it all out and lower the seat pan unless that is my only or last option. I have a removable wheel and had this thought.

What about making a spacer that will go between the back side of the wheel and the hub? I only need the wheel to move towards me 1"-2" and it would fit great. Any other ideas?

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 04:23 PM

Machining a piece to fit the spline and your wheel might work. It will probably be longer than you expect to get enough contact area. It will also raise the wheel, you might feel like a kid at a booth in a diner, looking up to see over the wheel. To compensate you might have to space the column down a bit. While I'm at the column, doesn't it have some room to move it toward you a bit, or did you already try that?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 04:30 PM

What about a Woodward collapsible column. Don't their brackets allow vertical adjustment as well?

Regards,
Patrick

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 PM

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/PDF/...20Releases.pdf

Looks like they have a couple options that permit vertical adjustment. I mean your car is basically full boogie now anyway right? I would think this is a no brainer for a man in your position.

Regards,
Patrick

Last edited by patrickstapler; 01-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 PM
fej

Looks like a pretty serious build, I would recommend the Woodward column as well. You have come this far might as well get the most important things (safety, car control) right. Those columns are not cheap, but hitting things (moving or stationary) will be far more expensive. And not being comfortable at the wheel while on track is NEVER good. If you don't want that look maybe go Ididit or similar with tilt to solve the problem?

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

After disassembling the coupler, I see I can use a simple 2" aluminum spacer. Initial testing , pulling it 2" towards me while seated does not put it in a bad spot at all. Only moves it upwards a fraction. TBH, that's what is needed. It gets the wheel away from my legs and allows more space for leg movement.

The Woodward steering shaft is one nice piece. If I wanted to completely re-do the entire unit, that would be the way to go!

2.468" OD
1.187" ID
2" high

Drilling the fastener holes is easy.

Now, to find someone that will mill it...

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Found someone to mill out the spacer. Should have it in a few weeks.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 PM

I have the 15" Moto-Lita wheel and felt the exact same way. I bought a 1" Moto-Lita spacer already milled and bolted it on. Now my legs and arms fit perfectly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Specer.jpg (89.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Wheel.jpg (90.8 KB, 52 views)

66 coupe, '93 Fox seats, Three point belts, 289, Weiand, Hipo manifolds, duel exhaust, T5 trans, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3.40 open, KH front disc, Porterfield R4-S pads, 1" front sway bar, Shelby drop, Spring perch relocation, Shelby quick steer, GT progressive coils (1/2 coil cut), 4.5 leaf mid-eye, Bilstein Street Shocks, Export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Sub-frame connectors, Performance alignment (+3.5 caster/-.5 camber), 16x7 wheels, 215/55/16 & 225/55/16 BFG G-force

Brad

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Made and done!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
I have the 15" Moto-Lita wheel and felt the exact same way. I bought a 1" Moto-Lita spacer already milled and bolted it on. Now my legs and arms fit perfectly!
I found those, but none would fit the quick release.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:15 PM

I did the same extension for my quick release. Been tracking it for two seasons with no issues. I put my steering wheel and seat position so I was copying how the nascar drivers sit. If they can stay that way for four hours I'm good for 20 minute secessions. Longest I've done is 40 minutes and I was confrontable. I have my kirkey seat tilted back more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0878.jpg (89.8 KB, 49 views)
silverblueBP likes this.

Last edited by 69BossElim; 01-31-2017 at 03:19 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Yup, made my spacer out of oak 1" filled the pores with Bondo and satin black - looks great - then while putting in the EPAS, I put the steering wheel right where I wanted it, about another inch closer then set the column length north of the unit to put it there. Another freebee is to lower the clutch and brake pedals an inch, looks like your clutch is already lower...Very happy now!

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM

SilverBlue whos instrument cluster is that??

64.5 Coupe to Fastback project, 2008 Torch Red GT500
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede Garza View Post

take a look at this one.

Scott Drake C5ZZ-10838-6-BK Mustang Instrument Bezel Six Blk GT 65-66

1966 white monster.
6R09A
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of doing this...will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede Garza View Post

Can't remember,but the supplier quit carrying it right after I bought it back in 02. It was very cheap! Black plastic.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page