Scatter Shields or Blow Proof Bellhousings - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Scatter Shields or Blow Proof Bellhousings

Any of you guys using them on your DD's with Toploaders? I intend on installing one on the track car, but contemplating the necessity on my '66 GT which will see some spirited driving.

I'm rebuilding the TL now and will be swapping in for the C4 soon.

Regards,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM

It's not a DD yet but I have an old Lakewood 1520 scattershield in my '65 with a T10.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
I'm running a Lakewood 15200 scatter shield with a toploader in my '66. While the peace of mind is nice, it took some work to get everything working together. I had to notch multiple sections of the bell to make it clear hooker comp headers, stock clutch linkage, steering linkage, starter, etc. Plus it didn't come aligned so I needed a dial indicator and some patience to figure out direction/distance of offset dowels required. I've heard newer scatter shields don't require alignment but mine was way off resulting in horrible clutch chatter before I aligned it.

66 GT350 Clone in Sapphire Blue. Built from the ground up over 12 years and finally being enjoyed on the road!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Good to know. I have read on several sites today the QuickTime housings are much much better at actually fitting and aligning properly. So you pretty much solidify that. Although, they are quite a bit more expensive as well.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 PM

My old 1520 dialed in within specs without offset dowels or any mods. I didn't have to grind any notches for header clearance with FPA's. The only thing I had to do was to grind off the tip on the clutch release arm where the spring connects as that tip was hitting the header tubes. I drilled a hole (very tough!) in the arm to connect the spring to.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Well I wouldn't have that problem as I am using HiPo exhaust manifolds. I doubt I will see north of 6K RPM and I have a SFI flywheel, just trying to make sure I cover the bases.

Regards,
Patrick
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
Good to know. I have read on several sites today the QuickTime housings are much much better at actually fitting and aligning properly. So you pretty much solidify that. Although, they are quite a bit more expensive as well.
I did read of issues from a trusted member of another site regarding his issues upon installation and alignment of a Quicktime bell. He quoted 8 hours of his life he would never get back after finally getting it right. He is an experienced mechanic BTW.

I have a Quicktime bell that I will be using on my street driven 351w stroker w/A-5 trans. I'm assembling motor right now so I don't have feedback yet. Examining it I'm considering having the powder coating removed on the surface that mounts to the block plate. It doesn't appear completely level and may contribute to misalignment issues. After the coating is gone it should hopefully measure up to the factory intended specs when installed.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:48 AM

I have installed a few QT Bells (SFI and non SFI) on my 70 351W based 460 stroker engine. Alignment on the first one was dead on and did not require any adjustment dowels. On the 2nd one, I did need to offset it just a small amount to be within specs. They are smaller than the Lakewood ones, so more clearance for headers.

Also have used the RobbMC dowel pins that are great for adjusting and locking them in place. After everything is aligned and locked in place, I use a center punch and put a small stake at the edge of the pin and block so I can quickly check to see if it has moved during bell-housing removal. Always right in place. I have been able to get the alignment just about dead center with these easily.

RobbMc Performance Products - Bellhousing Alignment Dowels

www.PalmieriConcepts.com custom showboards
10.47 @133(still practicing)
70 Mach 1 w/Boss 460 Stroker Engine-Build http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
70 Boss 302-May 70, Dearborn-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...970Boss302.htm
62 Corvette-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...roon/index.htm

MCA, MCCNE Member
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Sweet. All good info guys. Thanks.

Regards,
Patrick
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff351w View Post
I did read of issues from a trusted member of another site regarding his issues upon installation and alignment of a Quicktime bell. He quoted 8 hours of his life he would never get back after finally getting it right. He is an experienced mechanic BTW.

I have a Quicktime bell that I will be using on my street driven 351w stroker w/A-5 trans. I'm assembling motor right now so I don't have feedback yet. Examining it I'm considering having the powder coating removed on the surface that mounts to the block plate. It doesn't appear completely level and may contribute to misalignment issues. After the coating is gone it should hopefully measure up to the factory intended specs when installed.
I'm using a Quicktime bell and I don't think they are powder coated, just painted. Mine has several scratches just from install and un-install and laying around in the shop. BTW, my QT bell didn't require any offset pins.
If I could have found an aluminum bell for my application, I would have gone that route. The steel ones are heavy and bulky and if using a certified flywheel, there is little chance of a catastrophic event happening in a street driven car.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.

Last edited by j persons; 02-11-2017 at 10:34 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I have a OEM proper date coded aluminum bell for the TL and a SFI flywheel. I was wondering if the steel bell is worth the extra insurance...even at the seemingly extravagant price tag.

Regards,
Patrick
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
If I could have found an aluminum bell for my application, I would have gone that route. The steel ones are heavy and bulky and if using a certified flywheel, there is little chance of a catastrophic event happening in a street driven car.
A wise man once told me, in regards to a race car - I'll take the extra 25 pounds of scattershield to keep my 10 pounds of feet.
silverblueBP and Sparky66 like this.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I hear you on the race car. I'm just debating if it's needed on a DD that will see a little track time for fun, but there will be no hard launches and it won't see north of 6K RPM.

Regards,
Patrick
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 PM

If it goes on track, get the SFI housing. I like the Quicktime housing over a Lakewood.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 AM

It's not needed until it is, then it's too late if you don't already have one.

The choice is yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page