Holley double pumper linkage - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Holley double pumper linkage

hello, not much activity lately, have a hard time keeping the new password straight.. Anyway was wondering if any one has tried setting the primary and secondary in the 1 to 1 linkage vs the progressive for road racing. I have thought about it but never tried it on the track. Seems that it would make the power more predictable and steady vs the secondaries coming in and out in the last quarter of throttle.

also, thoughts on locking the advance for the distributor

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 PM

Definitely lock out the advance if track only.

Not at my car now to compare the linkage, but I don't remember changing it.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM

Garage
Since every different vehicle might act a bit differently because of what is in the build, I would say try it if you are keeping the rpms up over around 3000. If you get lugged down in a low gear turn and the rpms drop, it might cause a bit of a studder or stumble trying to accelerate from a low rpm. I think you will need to just go try it and see how your car likes it.

When I was only drag racing my car, I launched it from around 3700 rpm so I ran 1:1 but I still ran a primary power valve. It was a bit easier rumbling around back in the pits and staging like that. You may find that your car will like 1:1 better with a secondary power valve and squared up on the jets. I saw people drag racing like that and I also saw people running jetted up with no power valves at the track too.

1:1 might also require you to rethink your accelerator pumps a bit.

My carb came with a few different linkage rods to tune how fast or slow the secondaries would come in. I'm running the stock rod now since I'm going back to the streets.

I think the Holley dominator is set up 1:1 or alls the ones I have seen at the track were.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec
331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

Last edited by macstang; 04-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

silverblueBP , any trouble starting the car when hot with the dist locked?.. I try to keep it running for the whole session, but things do happen.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM

The MSD 6 AL box retards it automatically at startup. So I've read. It's a new MSD distributor too.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Starts easy when hot.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 AM

If you search the web, there are several reputable carb vendors selling road race carbs with 1:1 linkage. It looks ike they run powervalves on both ends.
I would say try it.
Ask the guys at this forum for details
racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org - Index page
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

good idea, square the jets up and I can tune the top end with power valves.. The issue I was having was at VIR at the ends of the big straights when I would start to get out of the secondaries, the engine would go very lean and fealt like it was out of gas to the point of burning 2 pistons (1 and 4)..(still trying to figure out exactly what happened there) And at Kershaw when opening the secondaries traction is an issue.. So I am looking for more consistency.

So I will be going through the summer with what I refer to as my granny engine (thankful to have a spare) and trying to get some lessons learned..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM

You know Ed Pinks son Bill Pink is a carburetor guy in Denver NC.
I'm sure he could help if he wanted to.
Power By Pink Home
Or call BLP and talk to them. They will give you rough tuning info if you are buying their parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page