first "dry" autocross - Vintage Mustang Forums

6Likes
  • 4 Post By groho
  • 1 Post By groho
  • 1 Post By groho

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

first "dry" autocross

did my first autocross 2 weeks ago, and it was raining which taught me allot of patience and how to slow down. This last weekend was my first true autocross and . . . .sure nuff. . . buyin more parts on monday. (thanks for the advise John/Opentracker) Thank you for all the input and support this forum has provided getting me through my 5+ yr build. I won't be fulltime autocross, but plan to hit about half dozen or more runs this year time/commitments permitting. CAM-T class, I believe there was 6 in class, 4 runs, finished "i think" 2nd, still waiting on the final results. Still learning that trackaddict app, works great (if you can remember to turn it off after the run, damn adrenaline!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autocross I.jpg (96.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg autocross II.jpg (39.2 KB, 58 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Beautiful color!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM
fej

Groho where was that event at? Looks maybe like Sac?

Glad to hear you are having fun, if you venture down in to the Bay Area, the American AutoCross Series is about the best group you can run with from an event and course quality (as well as speed) and they are running in 2/3 weeks at Crows Landing off of I5. I am hoping to be there on Sunday the 21st and if you can make it I can help introduce and or grab you a few ride alongs in some national champion level cars across a few different classes.

Feel free to PM me or check out American Auto-X Series ? American Auto-X Series

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

fej, thanks for the invite, I saw that on the schedule and was considering it. . . Sorry, one LITTLE conflict, son is graduating college that weekend (NO MORE TUITION CHECKS! and all future tuition $$ can get redirected to tires and parts). I definitely plan to run part time at sac & stockton, and try to squeeze in a run or two at C/L and marina time permitting.
Huntingky likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:13 PM

You should also check out the Open Track events with the Nor Cal Shelby Club (we were just at Thunderhill a couple weeks ago). Next up is Mini-Nats at Sears Point in early August. Open Track is definitely a different animal than autocross - not that it takes more skill, but there's something about coming through turn 10 and knowing there's just a thin strip of dirt before that monster wall that gets the blood pumping. We run four different groups, with yellow being a good group to work your way up through.

Or come up to Thunderhill in October: wide open track and not quite as big a crowd.

Nor Cal Shelby Club
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:59 AM

Careful it's addicting ,I have some questions about your car

Steering ratio?
Power/manual steering ?
Rim/tire size ?

Last edited by 2nd 66; 05-03-2017 at 01:01 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 AM

Garage
I've autocrossed my old 260Z Datsun, my 427 (390) Cobra replica, an Austin Healey (Ford 302) replica, a Porsche Speedster replica and was building a race-only Datsun 2000 Roadster before having to sell it in a divorce. My '66 GT might see some autocross time if I can ever get it off of the rotisserie.

Titus_RacerX
'66 GT Fastback, Springtime Yellow. Plant: Metuchen , NJ DSO: Atlanta. AT, A/C. 6T09A111858
Parked since 1980. Carport find that I've been watching for 10+ years.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV
2006 Nissan Pathfinder SL
Code Name: Daisy Photobucket
Often the path to forgiveness is to realize that the other person is an imbecile.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

2nd 66, its borgeson power steering, with a quick ratio box from ABSPowerBrakes.com, a small Socal company. Got family in the area so picked it up at their shop, very knowledgeable and good to work with. They advertise 3:25 turns, but I'm seeing right at 3 turns. Its a great box converted from I don't know what, uses your existing manual center link. Critical item, because the box sits a little closer to the firewall it does change the position of the centerlink and offsets it by about 1/2" on the drivers side. If you're running an aftermarket eng cross member there may be clearance issues. Has plenty of eng room, and clears my headers without a problem. The tires are 235/45/17 all the way around on a 17X8 E/T LTIII wheel with 4.75" backspacing, no rubbing at all, but I have rolled fenders in the rear and reduced the lip in front to 1/4" by cutting it back. Incredible company at ETMags.com, tiny family company in east bay San Leandro, can't say enough about Scott and Jim and their customer service. Also running a MaierInc panhard, love it! Makes the rear end very predictable.
gimpystoy likes this.

Last edited by groho; 05-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groho View Post
2nd 66, its borgeson power steering, with a quick ratio box from ABSPowerBrakes.com, a small Socal company. Got family in the area so picked it up at their shop, very knowledgeable and good to work with. They advertise 3:25 turns, but I'm seeing right at 3 turns. Its a great box converted from I don't know what, uses your existing manual center link. Critical item, because the box sits a little closer to the firewall it does change the position of the centerlink and offsets it by about 1/2" on the drivers side. If you're running an aftermarket eng cross member there may be clearance issues. Has plenty of eng room, and clears my headers without a problem. The tires are 235/45/17 all the way around on a 17X8 E/T LTIII wheel with 4.75" backspacing, no rubbing at all, but I have rolled fenders in the rear and reduced the lip in front to 1/4" by cutting it back. Incredible company at ETMags.com, tiny family company in east bay San Leandro, can't say enough about Scott and Jim and their customer service. Also running a MaierInc panhard, love it! Makes the rear end very predictable.
Thanks for your reply ,You should do very well with that setup. I rockin'manual 19:1 AKA slow:1 steering soon to have longer Shelby pitman/idler arms ,16x7 225/50/16
and 17x8's in the future

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 PM
fej

I can't motivate for the small course and drive time to Marina; I do highly recommend the Larry Park memorial event which will be at Crows Landing July 1-2. Fastest event of the year pretty reliably, and about as close as you can get to more of an "open track" type feel without the walls or tire barriers to run in to and no other cars to think about. I will definitely make that event, and I have only missed it once in the past 10 years or so.

2nd 66 I also have the ABS box, and it has worked well in its limited use for me so far, I know Maier Racing and Mike Maier Inc have installed a fair amount of the ABS boxes with success.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fej View Post
I can't motivate for the small course and drive time to Marina; I do highly recommend the Larry Park memorial event which will be at Crows Landing July 1-2. Fastest event of the year pretty reliably, and about as close as you can get to more of an "open track" type feel without the walls or tire barriers to run in to and no other cars to think about. I will definitely make that event, and I have only missed it once in the past 10 years or so.

2nd 66 I also have the ABS box, and it has worked well in its limited use for me so far, I know Maier Racing and Mike Maier Inc have installed a fair amount of the ABS boxes with success.
IF?? I ever do power steering I would probably go EPAS ,But I do need to get my longer arms in soon

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Good stuff, I just did my first one last weekend. I have the borgeson steering setup and found I really need to drop the ratio down to 3 turns at least to really be competitive at this
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
IF?? I ever do power steering I would probably go EPAS ,But I do need to get my longer arms in soon
I like the Mike Maier power steering setup. It gives you the quicker ratio box plus power steering in a set-up which is track tested. They also use the ABS box and their kit comes with a modified Pitman arm to reposition the centerlink. The cost is only a little more then an EPAS and new 16:1 box.

66 coupe, '93 Fox seats, Three point belts, 289, Weiand, Hipo manifolds, duel exhaust, T5 trans, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3.40 open, KH front disc, Porterfield R4-S pads, 1" front sway bar, Shelby drop, Spring perch relocation, Shelby quick steer, GT progressive coils (1/2 coil cut), 4.5 leaf mid-eye, Bilstein Street Shocks, Export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Sub-frame connectors, Performance alignment (+3.5 caster/-.5 camber), 16x7 wheels, 215/55/16 & 225/55/16 BFG G-force

Brad

Last edited by Ponyboy; 05-12-2017 at 09:42 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

In fact it was Mike that suggested that box. It may have changed by now, but I believe Mike was running that box and a KRC pump for the longest time.

Latest update, race on saturday, buy parts on monday. . . .a post inspection showed my LCA's took a beating. They were boxed in and fairly new rubber but still noodled the bushings in the turns. My LCA ball joints boots are toast, and now I find out its a headache to address on the stock arms so screw it (pay now or pay later) went out and bought a set of SoT roller uppers/lowers to add to my existing mod's. Since most of my frontend is already SoT (perches & struts), this should be the icing on the cake.

I'm discovering the importance of getting under the car and thoroughly inspecting it after a race, I've found so many loose nuts/bolts, braces. Loctite is my new friend. Glad I've got some time before the next run.

Last edited by groho; 05-12-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page