Recommended Autocross and Track Locations in Los Angeles area - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bavakian67

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Recommended Autocross and Track Locations in Los Angeles area

I have had the itch for a long time to do some autocross and open track days once my mustang is finished. It looks like my car should be finished by the end of the year.

I did some research on autocross locations and open track days in the Los Angeles area (some of the organizations I found were Club SCCA, NMCA West Hotchkis Autocross, Speed Limit Racing and Speed Ventures). However, I was wondering what locations and/or organizations some of you like the best for autocross and/or track. I have only done autocross one time at Fontana and have never driven on a track. So if there are some organizations or tracks that offer some track instruction for a reasonable price let me know.

From the research I have done, it looks like Buttonwillow has a performance driving clinic 3 times per year for only $195. Anyone ever done that program? Seems like a reasonable price.
gimpystoy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 AM

$195 woe that's 70's pricing
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Check out Alltime Racing out of Gardena. Tim Herren rents out Willow Springs 2x a year (November / April) and puts on a track day for about $245. It's a small, informal group and you get a lot of track time. Different run groups based on experience level and car prep - daily drivers thru full on race cars.

Has a vintage Mopar slant but any and all are welcome. I've brought Mustangs to his track days since 2008 and always had a great time. You can even camp out at the track the night before and BBQ BS with a few of the folks.

Jeff

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the recommendation Jeff. Sounds like a good group to run with.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM

There is a group that runs autocross in Camarilo .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone03 View Post
There is a group that runs autocross in Camarilo .
Yeah I was out at the Camarillo airport a few weeks ago and saw the guys autocrossing on the other side of the tarmac. Looked like fun! No idea what organization it is however...

'65 Vert 289 Blue on Blue, White Top. PS/PB/C4 Auto
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will look into the Camarillo group.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Camarillo group = Speedlimit racing

I was in your shoes a few years ago so when I started a blog this year, I wrote a guide to SoCal autocross locations. As a fellow muscle car enthusiast it covers all the muscle car targeted events too.

Check it out here: https://www.autoxandtrack.com/socal-...oss-locations/

The guide talks about pricing event frequency and has links to the sign up pages. I also have video's of the typical course layouts involved. NMCA Hotchkis autocross is coming up the weekend after next and will be sold out soon. 20+ classic muscle cars will show up with lots of other early Mustangs.

I will also be writting a road course guide but for now here are some ideas:
Tracks you can get to easily same day:
Auto Club Speedway (Roval and Infield configurations)
Willow Springs Raceway (aka Big Willow)
Streets of Willow Springs (2nd track at Willow Springs)

Tracks that usually require an overnight stay (unless you are an ironman).
Buttonwillow Raceway
Chuckwalla

Of the above, Buttonwillow is my favorite. For a first time track driver I recommend Streets of Willow Springs or Buttonwillow. You can drive any of the above tracks but I think those two are less intimidating and a *little* easier on the car.

Main track day organizers in SoCal are Speedventures and Extreme Speed. both offer beginner instruction and a beginner run group with the option to get a full day instruction.

The Shelby Club usually runs at least once a year at Streets of Willow Springs. Awesome event full of vintage Ford cars on track. Run really well with an extra emphasis on safety.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:44 PM

One more thing. If you don't have a lot of autocross experience then I highly recommend you come out to a Cal Club event. There are some great instructors available (free) that will help you out. Saturday's are practice days and you get 12 runs and can get a lot of instructions. But they sell out fast. Sunday's have no entry cap and usually get 4 runs.

I'm a huge fan of classic muscle on the autocross and would love to have another CAM-T car come out. CAM-T is the SCCA class you would run in. You might like this other blog post I wrote about CAM in Cal Club.

The rise of Cal Club CAM Autocross
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for going out of your way with all of that extra information. l will have to PM you at some point so we can talk more. My car is several months from being done. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am getting close.

I want to get out there and try it out. I am very curious to see how much I will like it. Being married and having kids my life is so family focused (which l love), I find myself looking for something I can do for a day or weekend that's fun. Change of pace.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavakian67 View Post
Thank you so much for going out of your way with all of that extra information. l will have to PM you at some point so we can talk more. My car is several months from being done. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am getting close.

I want to get out there and try it out. I am very curious to see how much I will like it. Being married and having kids my life is so family focused (which l love), I find myself looking for something I can do for a day or weekend that's fun. Change of pace.
Feel free to PM me as you get closer with any questions. I do events an average of 3 weekends a month so if I can't answer your question I probably know someone who can. I'm also happy to help walk you through your first event including riding with you or giving your a ride along in my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page