Best sub frame connectors?? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

11Likes

post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
Picking up tin man fab sfc next Tuesday as he's only a couple hours away from me. Convinced the wife we needed a date day in the cities but we need to pick these up first lol. She's so great.
I just got mine 2 weeks ago. Very heavily and solidly made. Directions with illustrations weren't the greatest, though. Haven't had time to install.

Dave
2004 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
1966 Ford Mustang Original 289
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads; bored .30 over
T5z manual swap
Weiand Stealth Intake/Holley 600 CFM Carb.
Comp Cam 268H 9.5:1 Speed Pro Pistons
Tri-Y Headers w/ 2.5" H Pipe/Dynomax
Ride tech air ride with 4 link/Global West Arms
Global West Adjustable Struts/CSRP Front Disk Brakes.
Ford 8 3.40 trac-lok

GO RAIDERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmustangrider View Post
I just got mine 2 weeks ago. Very heavily and solidly made. Directions with illustrations weren't the greatest, though. Haven't had time to install.
There's a youtube video.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 PM

Has anyone used these guys stuff? Looks pretty good.
Chassis Stiffening Kits

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM

I went with tinman subframe connectors.

2007 GT500 Replica
1965 GT350 Replica
89 5.0 EFI, 5-speed, 4-link rear suspension, eaton traction lok, front coil-over suspension, subframe connectors, torque boxes installed, 4pt roll cage, roller bearing LCAS, roller bearing clutch pedal, spherical bearing strut rods, shelby uca drop, 58cc chamber alum heads, E303 cam, 70mm TB, 24" cross flow alum radiator, electric assist power steering with rack-n-pinion, Power Disc Brakes, sanderson headers, Explorer ported EFI intake
1973 Mach 1
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM

Garage
It would be nice if there were sfc's that go from the front frame rails all the way to the leaf spring. My front leaf spring bolt goes through one side of the SFC. The other end goes into the front frame rail about 10 inches and plug welded.

I used 2x3 all the way. I wish I would have tapered it down at the front of the seats to make more comfortable front floorboards. That would have made them only through the floor in the rear.

67 coupe Turbo Blow-thru 351w, C4, 8.8 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435094
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 PM

Garage
I have TinMan subframe connectors on my 65 Fastback and love them. They tuck up really close to the floor and you can't see them until you get under the car, and one of the best things is no loss of ground clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front of Subframe connector.JPG (85.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Full length shot of installed subframe.JPG (95.0 KB, 101 views)

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 AM

I have the Tinman SFC's but IMO, the best are the ones that go through the floor pan and are welded their full length into the pan.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Dear Sir,
If I may be so bold. I would encourage you to take a look at the Mike Maier inc web site. I was the one that designed the brace originally and now we at the new shop have improved the design. We have slotted the mounts to ensure fitment across more variations old uni bodies. We have also mad a fixture that allows us to mount the front cross bars in different locations due to specific applications. We also have a complete line of chassis stiffening.
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Garage
I just bought a set of somewhat generic bolt in connectors. They tie into the rear torque box/front leaf spring bolt and there is a rectangular cup that cross bolts to the floor support in the front. After I bolted them in I welded them . They work fine but then i am not track racing. Mine contact the floor plans along the length of the bars so I could lay in stitch welds if I felt I needed it. I have contemplated building a cross bar in the middle to stop any flexing of the bars but I'm not really sure it is necessary. I think that the chassis stiffening is not just a one product solution. The front torque boxes did a lot or my car. The subframes helped. The old monte/export brace should have been installed on every one of these cars. Putting in the Shelby under riders helped. Reinforcing the shock towers with welding and extra plating helped. The Boss 302 outer shock tower plate helped. The heim jointed strut rods helped. If I put in a 4 point cage it would no doubt help also. I may do that later on. It is probably stiff enough for anything I plan to do with the car already. Some of the subframe connectors look like over kill to me but then if I were running on tracks I would probably feel different.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec
331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

Last edited by macstang; 09-21-2016 at 03:39 PM.
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:25 PM

I was of the exact thought process. I am generally very apprehensive to change something if it is doing good allredy. However when I started to do these things on my car to develop a product line I was blown away with the difference. These cars are so flimzy that every little bit helps as long as its quality thought out product and not some 20 dollar excuse for a part.
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maier View Post
Dear Sir,
If I may be so bold. I would encourage you to take a look at the Mike Maier inc web site. I was the one that designed the brace originally and now we at the new shop have improved the design. We have slotted the mounts to ensure fitment across more variations old uni bodies. We have also mad a fixture that allows us to mount the front cross bars in different locations due to specific applications. We also have a complete line of chassis stiffening.
Mike,

I'm considering your Subframe connectors for my 69 Convertible, do you have any pictures that show them installed on a 65-70 convertible so I can see how you handle the lower seat support on the underside of the floor?
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Just for anyone shopping around for SFC that don't drag the ground and look like they belong there. Here is another picture of my Spintechs as I was getting ready to weld on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SubFrame2s.jpg (95.2 KB, 115 views)
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:07 PM

Stiffness

I used TCI, and could tell the difference with the body on the rotisserie. But, noticed the biggest difference in the body stiffness after I installed the 6 point cage. I didn't realize what a difference the cage would make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1470.jpg (91.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1472.jpg (80.4 KB, 89 views)
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BossElim View Post
I used TCI, and could tell the difference with the body on the rotisserie. But, noticed the biggest difference in the body stiffness after I installed the 6 point cage. I didn't realize what a difference the cage would make.
Hey, that's a Cougar. Do we allow those on VMF?
All kidding aside, the cage is the ultimate frame/unibody stiffener.
Subframe connectors are a joke in comparison to a properly
designed and installed cage.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 PM

im still hung up on a good set for the 69 convertible. i like Maier's connectors on how close they hug the body as well as how much they connect to the subframes. Down side is they dont make them for verts. So has anyone here made their own? it would be an easy task to do, but i dont have a pipe bender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page