Auto-X Road Race Steering??? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
I have a PS box, a manual center link and the Pro-Motorpsorts bumpsteer kit which quickens steering.

The effort is way too high with DOT race rubber. I'm weighing my options for power steering this winter.

5 degrees of caster will rip your arms off by the end of four autocross runs. 2.5 degrees was do-able all day at an open track event.

Bringing this back from the dead.... I was looking at this bumpsteer kit, but I kinda thought this should be adjustable... I'm looking at it primarily to quicken steering a bit, but curious if you still think it's the hot setup after all these years....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Bumping this back from the dead.

I am building my car and I am getting ready to order all the steering bits. Its a 68 with SoT coilovers up front and Zray's competition crossmember. I plan on a fresh PS box from Chock and also the roller idler from Opentracker.

Is the Baer tracker bumpersteer kit a good upgrade?
https://baer.com/Baer-Tracker-Adjust...g-3261002.html

Also, what do you guys think about the Cobra Automotive reinforced center drag link?
1967-69 Manual steering (excluding Boss)

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 AM

I think Maier is making spindles now with built in quicker steering ratio... not your question really but thought i'd add that info to this thread. pricey sorta, but maybe worthwhile if they fit your overall goals.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 AM

For steering i use a new flaming river 16:1, like Shaun i wish for lower ratio. Would like a shelby quick steer kit but the box i have is for a later 1 1/8 shaft thinking I wanted the stronger shaft and they don't make a quicksteer kit for that. My steering box is on CL now if anyone with a later 67+ car needs one - if it sells I'll get a 1" chock box. I do run EPAS which has a different feel to it and really like it - i love the adjustability of with the turn of a knob... Frankly, I have driven several r&p old mustangs and don't notice the value, people complain about the induced bumpsteer - but the turning radiuses Just sux!

I run red konis upgraded stock suspension open tracker style all fabricated myself with John's parts - with UCAs I shortened 1/2 an inch. 685 springs up front, 5 leafs out back. This winter i fabricated a set of adjustable strut rods - cant wait to try them. Now i can bump castor to 4.5 degrees running camber at 1.5 degrees. I can actually get more castor if needed.

My car is a roaring blast to drive on the track or autocross! Can't wait to drive it next Sunday!
2nd 66 likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Interesting reading the old post. My car was originally PS, now manual. I have John's roller idler arm, Baer bumpsteer kit, Shaun's struts along with 4 caster. Feels nice on the road a little heavy during parking but I don't parallel parking too much with it. 2 weeks ago I greased the box with Mobile 1 red synthetic grease. I bought two tubes. I used the first tube to flush out the crap in the gun and put the rest in the box along with a good portion of the second tube. I'm not sure exactly how much I got it but it was more then 1 tube. It steers a little easier now and what little slop in the box before sees to be gone. The car is driving nice, I don't see a need for R&P.
2nd 66 likes this.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 AM

I saw the Maier spindles, but they only fit WilWood calipers last I checked.

My current project has full SoT coilovers, Chock steering box, Baer bumpsteer kit, Opentracker roller idler, and all new steering linkage. I am interested in the Epas steering, but haven't looked into the various brands too much to know which is best.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I saw the Maier spindles, but they only fit WilWood calipers last I checked.

My current project has full SoT coilovers, Chock steering box, Baer bumpsteer kit, Opentracker roller idler, and all new steering linkage. I am interested in the Epas steering, but haven't looked into the various brands too much to know which is best.

I'd say put some miles on it before you do any sort of power assist. Everything is going to be stiff and tight. Give it a chance to break in. With the Baer kit, you have two rod ends with virtually no resistance vs two tie rods that do. You've cut down some friction there.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:19 PM

For my 69, after a track day, I installed power steering. Especially if you at running wider sticky tires.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
For my 69, after a track day, I installed power steering. Especially if you at running wider sticky tires.
Meeeee toooooo! Try it with a 13" steering wheel...
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:44 AM

I have a 19:1 AKA slow:1 box, no power steering, -1.5ish camber +4ish castor, 620 coils with a half loop cut, UCA drop ,white KYB's,Homemade adjustable strut rods ,Granada spindles HD 4 leaf mid eyes out back 225/50/16 on 16x7x4.5 Ranger FX4 wheels
Funny the "secretary" easy turn steering box I have is negated especially on tight auto x courses because of all the extra steering input.Meaning it really takes a lot of wheel turning to keep up basically the car is faster than I can steer. I have a set of Shelby arms just need to get them installed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page