65 notchback "track day" build - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

65 notchback "track day" build

Greetings all,

Can't believe I've registered back in 2005, time fly...
Anyway, I'm Kermit, live on the other side of the pond in the UK.

Currently own a 1965 Mustang notchback.

Some specs:
343 Ford Racing block, Dart Pro 1 heads, Holley Terminator EFI (not yet running), SN93 (recently removed, still have it), electric water pump etc.... T5 gearbox.

Due to the insane amount of silly traffic where I live, I've decided to transform the car into a track day car with all the bells and whistles...
roll-cage, 289 engine light weigh forged internals, good gearbox etc...

Some random pictures of the tear down:

And finally it looks like this now:

It's currently at the media blaster. They have done a fender a while ago to test how much paint/filler was on it. Also, there was lots of waxoil (undercoat protection, very thick and sticky).
Here's the result of it:

currently with a phosphate coating on it to protect the bare metal.

It is going to be a slow build due to funds, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 PM

Ahhh that brings back lots of memories!! Good luck with the project. Lots of the guys here will have NO trouble "helping" you spend some money! Now...triple that budget and then add another 25%!

'66 Coupe Ivy Green with White stripes - Shelby hood - R Model front valance - Paxton Novi 1200 - new drivetrain now in the car - forged 331 with Canfield heads - Bullett custom hydraulic roller - Air-Gap intake - Astro A5 - 486 RWHP - SO MUCH FUN!!
post #3 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Yes, we love spending other people's money!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

post #4 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 06:40 PM

i have a 289 we can trade. lol
post #5 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Nice taste in control arms!

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #6 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 PM

can't tell if steering wheel on right side or ....right side
post #7 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Wow, your car looked really nice before the tear down. It seamed like you just needed to ad some parts to your set-up to be track ready. Why did you decide to tear it down?

66 coupe, '93 Fox seats, Three point belts, 289, 500 Cfm, Weiand, Hipo manifolds, duel exhaust, T5 trans, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3.40 open, KH front disc, Porterfield R4-S pads, 1" front sway bar, Shelby drop, Spring perch relocation, Shelby quick steer, GT progressive coils (1/2 coil cut), 4.5 leaf mid-eye, KYB Gas-A-Just front & GR-2 rear, Export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Sub-frame connectors, Performance alignment (+3.5 caster/-.5 camber), 16x7 wheels, 215/55/16 & 225/55/16 BFG G-force

Brad

post #8 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron George View Post
Ahhh that brings back lots of memories!! Good luck with the project. Lots of the guys here will have NO trouble "helping" you spend some money! Now...triple that budget and then add another 25%!

Well, you set yourself a budget, but .... you never can stick to it... lol
post #9 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Nice taste in control arms!

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I got the entire Global West tubular front suspension on eBay quite a few years ago.
It was on sale from a single person, 3 different auctions, which I did managed to get. Got so lucky that day for such a bargain. Something like a third of the brand new price it was.
post #10 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Wow, your car looked really nice before the tear down. It seamed like you just needed to ad some parts to your set-up to be track ready. Why did you decide to tear it down?
Thanks, the car is nice yes, but I wanted to start on a blank canvas.
From the chassis, bare metal etc....
post #11 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Starting from the ground up now is the time to plan what you want the car to be when it's done.
Classic US type SCCA "A Sedan" class car ,"B Production" , Trans AM ?

Europe Classic road race car (I don't know the classes)?

Modern Track car with no effort to link to past classes ?

Maybe a complete tube chassis with modern Touring Car spec suspension ?

All the above will dictate the look,performance and even ultimate purpose of the car,some changes may even exclude you from participating in some events. It's all a blank canvas now .
post #12 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

It is a blank canvas and about to burn a huge hole in the already depleted bank account... lol.

My first choice was to go for a European classic car race, however when I went over the full list of what's allowed and what's not... it's not financially viable to do it now.
Almost all the stuff it needs for it is what I had on the car over 10 years ago....

I'm going for a modern track car look.
To give you a run down of the overall look of the car:
6 points roll cage.
two racing buckets (already have them)
A couple of pictures when I was fitting them a while back (they are FIA including the harness)

The interior will be back to bare metal (painted of course, maybe some sort of grey).
Racepack UDX dash.
Momo steering, quick release.
Full lexan side and rear windows.

For the outside, it will still have the original look, nothing crazy in terms of aerodynamics (as in monster rear wings or thing like this.....)

For the wheels, I'm getting a set of 16" Vintage Wheel Works 48 with track day (but still road legal) tyres.
Wanted a set of Grab-A-Trak Race Wheels but they don't seem to have them in 16".

A full set of the biggest break I can fit behind the 16" wheels.
TCP manual rack (to be purchased, sold my Randall power rack).
Eaton Detroit Truetrack, will keep the current gears of 3.55/1
Will also keep my 4 links rear Heidts system but change the coil overs for some QA1 ones.
Will semi upgrade the front with coil overs (the ones which replace the stock shocks, not the full on monty ones).

For the engine, I will de-stroke my 342 to 289, the current heads are Dart pro1, solid lifters etc...
Holley Terminator EFI (already have it)
Lightweight flywheel, lightweight clutch (Centerforce LM series), scatter shield.
Accusump system.
Engine bay will be some sort of white/cream to be able to see any leaks easily.

The car will have a very limited road use, to go to a track and back really with the odd runs on public roads to take friends about.... so I don't care much if this engine is not "street" friendly.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but I hope you can let your imagination run as to what the car will look like...
As for the paint, it will be red (haven't picked the right shade yet)

Needless to say that the build won't happen over night ...
post #13 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Question

I think I'm going to keep all my general "track" oriented questions in this thread and avoid opening too many new threads.

Welded seams ?
As I will get the chassis back end of January, fully media blasted, I will get someone to plug weld of the holes I did manage to drill over the 10+ years of ownership... before I expoxy prime the chassis.
While I get the welder (a pro is coming, not me trying to learn how to weld) in, what do you guys think of welding all the seams?

Does it had any sort of rigidity to the chassis?
Is it something you would recommend or stay away from it?

thanks
post #14 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 01:41 AM

Ah steering wheel on the"right" side

post #15 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Backseat usable or gone?
For your track plans I would go full cage with forward bars to shock towers,knee bar behind/under dash. rear bars to suspension pick up points. full roof bar and at least one door bar for full on track work.

If less bars are in your plans look at Street or Track .com
Convertible braces and less cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page