66 Fastback rebuild / track ride - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:00 AM

I love the trimmed shock towers. I have a 351w in a 65 fastback and anything header or spark plug related is a total PITA. It's a nicely done beautiful car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Interesting on the 1" difference I need all the headroom i can get as i'm 99% positive with a helmet on I will be close to the roof.

So quick update:
Been working with Mike at Maier the last week on the brake package.

I think we've settled on the Superlight Wilwood 6 piston fronts with dynalite 4 piston rears with the b pads and chryo treated pistons. I'm still going back and forth on the rears using a superlight in the rear but mike feels it might over brake the rears.

Also getting quotes on ET wheels model 3's in both 17x8's squared and 18x8' squared. the kid in me wants the 18's however the lower mass of the 17's is the smart move..so i will most likely end up with 18's =)
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Interesting on the 1" difference I need all the headroom i can get as i'm 99% positive with a helmet on I will be close to the roof.

So quick update:
Been working with Mike at Maier the last week on the brake package.

I think we've settled on the Superlight Wilwood 6 piston fronts with dynalite 4 piston rears with the b pads and chryo treated pistons. I'm still going back and forth on the rears using a superlight in the rear but mike feels it might over brake the rears.

Also getting quotes on ET wheels model 3's in both 17x8's squared and 18x8' squared. the kid in me wants the 18's however the lower mass of the 17's is the smart move..so i will most likely end up with 18's =)
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:01 PM

I would look at tire availability before making that choice, sticky tires will trump minor wheel weight differences.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM
fej

I agree, very little is offered in appropriate widths for our cars in 17's these days, most everyone in the CAM and USCA type events are on 18's now, that is a function of size availability in the best compounds (as well as large brake clearance requirements)

Mike will get you taken care of, are you local to the Bay?

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys having trouble with a water pump that's becoming way more trouble than it should.

So originally the car had a drive side lower radiator feed that went to a passenger intake. the problem was i had this huge hose that was cobbled together with aluminum and rubber.

i wanted to switch to a drive side feed to have a nice short hose come out of the radiator and up to the water pump.

so here is the problem..

The original water pump had a block to hub height of 5.42"

the new water pump that feeds from the drive side is 5.7" and now the pulleys don't align.

I ordered a canton pulley for the new water pump and i'm off by a long shot to the harmonic balancer.

so now what? does anyone make a different driver feed water pump that is shorter or do i get a different lower harmonic balancer pulley?

i'm lost.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

i cant find the exact specs on this pump but looks like ford has one also.

Ford Racing Mechanical Water Pumps M-8501-F351 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

If it's 5.42 i will return the edlebrocks and get this unit.
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Couple updates:

Water Pump is back to the feed side of Passanger.. the only way to make a driver side feed work is to change timing cover, harmonic balancer, pullies etc...

So instead I ordered a new C&R radiator with both pass return / feed.

I've pulled all the fuel lines and starting on cleaning up the trunk. The fuel cell is pulled and we are grinding down all the crap, filling all the holes from the last 40 years and giving it a nice Por 15 treatment.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 PM

Car looks great, a little freshening up and you'll have it back on track in no time! Good call on the new radiator, the headache of trying to get Ford pullies matched up can be a nightmare.

Have you decided what to do on the seats? If you decide to sell the current ones I'd be interested, just sayin.

Oh and the 18's are going to change the entire look of the car, for the better!
Good luck selling the CTSV.

Dan
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Well time for wheel picks! I'm settled on Charcoal / polished lip

now its just down to these two! let me here your Votes.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Some updates to the progress.

Finished new Cooling system:

We went with a custom C&R radiator that had both the fill and return on the passenger side. It was pricey but at least I don't have to worry about a long lower radiator hose. We also had them use side mounts on the radiator apposed to top.

New T-Stat housing / New high flow water pump / New radiator / Fans / harness. Done!

Next up is Fuel system.

We pulled out everything old ran new lines from trunk to front with a feed / return.

patched up the hundred holes in the trunk and laid down a fresh coat of Por 15 and started reassembling.

Feed out of tank

New pump setup - shut off valve / filter / inline pump

new fuel pressure regulator with Return setup

finished product

road test went great no leaks, I do have a slight miss that feels fuel related so i'm going to be pulling the carb off and sending it to Competition Carbs in Reno to have them hot tank it, and work it over a little bit for the road course. I've already done Plugs / wires / coil / cap etc.

Now the car is at Mike M for suspension disassemble.
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 PM

Lookin good! Funny I was looking at those same wheels, decided that when the time comes I'll save for the ETIII's. If it were my money I'd be going for the Tungsten with brushed lip, either way they're great looking wheels.

Shameless plug for a buddy....Have you looked at Rushforth's?
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Been following your updates, looks great! I like the Tungsten rims just a little bit more.

1966 "C" Code Fastback, Ford crate 306, T5, 3.80 Trak Lok Rear, Sub-frame connectors, Tri-Y headers, Shelby drop with an empty wallet.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbasher View Post
Lookin good! Funny I was looking at those same wheels, decided that when the time comes I'll save for the ETIII's. If it were my money I'd be going for the Tungsten with brushed lip, either way they're great looking wheels.

Shameless plug for a buddy....Have you looked at Rushforth's?

I've got the rushforth night trains on my Nova and love the look but the finish isn't holding us as nice as I'd like for how expensive they are.

I told mike I can't have all his parts and the same wheels as his! I originally was going to do the ET wheels also.
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:47 PM

That's too bad about the Night Trains, good looking wheel and a good guy to deal with. What about the ACIII wheels from ET, they've got that vintage look as well.

I see the rear pan hard bar from MMI and leaf springs still in place...what all have you got planned? Oh and just a heads up, I texted Mike and told him to steal the seats out of your car! Haha!

Last edited by Dbasher; 11-19-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page