66 Fastback rebuild / track ride - Page 5 - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 08:10 PM

Did you have any issues with pad kickback with the fixed rear calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

To dash question.. The digital is very cool I can flip things around have multiple pages in a few mins. The built in shift lights are nice as well and easy to read. I've also got the dash to flash Etc if I loose oil pressure / overheat.

It's a nice to have not a need to have its way overkill for a club car. It was expenses to purchase / install etc. We have the left side of the car with the v-net and the right side of the car the main power. Also the dash draws a lot of power and can't be hooked up to the key so I have to turn the dash on with the rear on/off main breaker.

Would I do it again not sure... If you're looking for a cool factor and a unique dash and don't mind spend double what a set of gauges are then go for it you only live once.

No kickback on the Pistons I also upgraded to thermal lock Pistons from willwood. I was told that would prevent that , and I didnt experience any on the track.
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2Paz View Post

No kickback on the Pistons I also upgraded to thermal lock Pistons from willwood. I was told that would prevent that , and I didnt experience any on the track.
Car is looking awesome! Are you running at Mini-Nats? I'll be there, would be great to meet you and check out the car.

The Thermlock pistons add a thermal barrier to slow down heat migration to the fluid. They don't do anything to resist piston knock back. When/if you move to Hoosiers and are really leaning on the car things start to move around more.

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Yes that is correct, The Thermlock pistons are just for heat. These calipers do have knock back springs in them to help out. We also do understand that with the standard type 9" housing there will be axle flex that is the main contributor to the pad knock back. At the same time the axles on this car are some of the biggest I have ever seen. He has the tapered roller bearings and a massive retainer sleeve behind the bearing. For a standard type set up it has some meat for sure.
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Car is looking awesome! Are you running at Mini-Nats? I'll be there, would be great to meet you and check out the car.

The Thermlock pistons add a thermal barrier to slow down heat migration to the fluid. They don't do anything to resist piston knock back. When/if you move to Hoosiers and are really leaning on the car things start to move around more.

I'm 50/50 on running mini-nats.. I've got baby number two coming the following week. If I go i'd just run one day (sat).

Ah I misunderstood on the thermallock, Mikes right when we pulled the rear end apart it's got a huge set of axels etc.

Also I don't think i'll ever run Hoosiers, I think i'll leave the car setup for Cam-T events at American Auto Cross which require 200TW tires.

Mike and I talk about it weekly my goal is for it to drive / handle like a new corvette. In the sense that I load it up into the trailer head to the track and drive it and come off the track with a big smile.
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2Paz View Post
To dash question.. The digital is very cool I can flip things around have multiple pages in a few mins. The built in shift lights are nice as well and easy to read. I've also got the dash to flash Etc if I loose oil pressure / overheat.

It's a nice to have not a need to have its way overkill for a club car. It was expenses to purchase / install etc. We have the left side of the car with the v-net and the right side of the car the main power. Also the dash draws a lot of power and can't be hooked up to the key so I have to turn the dash on with the rear on/off main breaker.

Would I do it again not sure... If you're looking for a cool factor and a unique dash and don't mind spend double what a set of gauges are then go for it you only live once.

Thanks for the honest feedback, I can see the "cool" effect it has.
I guess it's a great tool to have in a 100% racing car if you require telemetry etc...

Had more thinking about the digital dash and I think I'll stick to a GT350r style dash
More period looking.
patrickstapler likes this.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys been a while since I last posted... been preparing for baby # 2 which arrived two weeks ago. We are blessed to welcome another girl to our world.

Couple updates:
We've beefed up the power steering system, the first time out i overheated the pump / lines and lost PS about half way through the day. We've since added an external cooler that goes inline with your lower radiator hose and a baffled overflow can.

Tuning: We did some fine tuning on the timing / jetting and got the car pretty happy now. It laid down 350/350 on a dynopak at 5500 RPM's. We didn't get to make any full pulls to 6200 as the dyno crapped out! =( That being said i'm very happy with the power output

Whats next:
Brake ducks
new exhaust - so I can pass sound at laguna
widen wheels (over December)

Here are a couple pics from the last goodguys show in Pleasanton, CA

post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Also we will be heading up to Thunderhill - Oct 15/16 for the fall classic with the shelby club. If you're planning on going stop by and say hello.
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys well its regrets me to say this but the car is for sale. I've yet to do the full photo shoot / nice for sale add but getting the word out early. I just had baby number 2 and priorities have shifted and unfortunately the car needs a new home.

Couple videos from Laguna last month with the Shelby Club.

Details:
66 Fastback - 65k

Mike Maier inc built out of Livermore, CA

This was a nine month projects build by Mike and his team.

Full Mod 1 Suspension package F/R (control arms / springs (coil overs), Leafs, subframes etc.

https://mikemaierinc.com/

Full Carriage works Re-wire from headlights to taillights.

Full RacePak IQ3LD race dash, full V-Net Setup on motor, Oil temp / pressure, water, A/F etc. $$

351W with 350HP / 350TQ at 5500RPM RWHP..The dyno was acting weird so we only did tuning pulls to 5500, shift at 6100. TFS Heads, Accusump, road race pan, MSD, Oil Cooler etc.

Road Course KRC power steering setup, with external cooler.

Sparco seats / Schroth 6 point harness, full halon fire suppression system, (driver / Fuel / motor).

20 Gal Fuel Cell with feed / return with Holly Pump.

Budnick 18" wheels with 6 Piston Willwoods (Forged Superlight series) 4 Piston in the back

Ford Toploader (wide)

Mark Williams Chromoly drive shaft with 1350 U Joints

Ford 9, Detroit Locker (yellow spring), 3:55's, Strange axels 31 spline.

Much more just a highlight..(teaser) professional photo shoot to come.

It's being featured in the upcoming Driven magazine for Shelby Northern California.

Has a total of 5 track days since build was finished. Its well sorted and very well balanced on the track.
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 PM

I have been following your build since it started. Really nice car, too nice to sell. I have one in college now and will be adding a second next year. Building my car is my stress relief from all the hours I work. Just store it for a while, no racing and save on all track fees. I have decided on no track time this year to save cash.
2nd 66 likes this.

66 coupe, '93 Fox seats, Three point belts, 289, 500 Cfm, Weiand, Hipo manifolds, duel exhaust, T5 trans, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3.40 open, KH front disc, Porterfield R4-S pads, 1" front sway bar, Shelby drop, Spring perch relocation, Shelby quick steer, GT progressive coils (1/2 coil cut), 4.5 leaf mid-eye, KYB Gas-A-Just front & GR-2 rear, Export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Sub-frame connectors, Performance alignment (+3.5 caster/-.5 camber), 16x7 wheels, 215/55/16 & 225/55/16 BFG G-force

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page