66 Fastback rebuild / track ride - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

66 Fastback rebuild / track ride

Hey guys! New member here.

I just picked up this 66 Fastback that is going to be my new track toy. I'm currently doing HPDE events in my CTS-V (for sale) and always wanted to a fastback and this opportunity to buy this car came along.

It's an older shelby club car that hasn't been raced in 10yrs so it's going through disassembly right now.

It's got a hot 351W that loves 100 octane, 4 speed, 9 inch, fuel cell, etc.

I will post more pictures shortly.

I just tore apart the the cooling system. It goes to Mike M in a couple weeks for new subframes, strut tower brace, and KRC power steering kit.

I might just order wheels and brakes at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:13 PM

I'd look over the suspension and brakes real close. See what you have and what needs replaced /upgraded. Does it have ductwork to the front brakes? What shocks and springs?

There are much better seats out there too.

The car looks great!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Recommendations on seats welcome! i'm not going to take it out on the track with those seats..thats asking for a helmet to roll bar scenario.

You're right on the brakes / suspension. I'm pulling all the brake lines off and upgrading to 6P Willwood's/Bear /4p in rear.

I'm most likely going to go with Mike's stuff for Front/Rear funds permitting =)

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:23 PM

Not to detract from Mike's offerings, but these guys offer some excellent solutions as well...since you are new to the game.

Street or Track LLC
Vintage Mustang Suspension and Chassis - Opentracker Racing Products

Regards,
Patrick
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:39 PM

and replace all the soft brake lines with braided lines!

+2 for ORP and SorT!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Supporting Vendor

Looks like a great starting point! Keep us posted on how the project is coming along and let us know if you have any questions.

Are you going to open track it with the Norcal Shelby Club? Good bunch of guys right there!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:09 AM

Garage
Nice looking car, and welcome to the forum!

You mentioned getting a new strut (shock, really) tower bar. But since you already have an export brace and monte carlo bar, I don't see why you'd need to bother, unless it's just personal preference.

1967 Mustang Hardtop
Old build thread - SF
Current build thread - VMF
2013 Subaru BRZ
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I might just keep the brace and monte carlo bar setup, and spend the money on new front shocks instead.

So started the cooling system disassembly this weekend in between family time.

Going to repaint all the pulleys, and ordered a new thermostat housing and edelbrock victor water pump and bolt kit.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Looks like a great starting point! Keep us posted on how the project is coming along and let us know if you have any questions.

Are you going to open track it with the Norcal Shelby Club? Good bunch of guys right there!

I did join NorCal Shelby, I wish I could make the last event of the year at Thunderhill but the car wont be ready by then. =(
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2Paz View Post
Recommendations on seats welcome!
For track days I found Cobra Monaco's to be an inexpensive, yet comfortable seat. Anything along that line (many diff brands to choose from) should be affordable. If you want better with more containment, then Kirkey and Ultra Shield have good options.

https://www.subesports.com/

I won't be needing the pass seat any longer if you want a used one. It's out of date as far as FIA rating, but is fine for track days. Only thing is I have no desire to ship it!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 PM

Garage
Love these vintage race Cars! Nice car!

Love this video
http://youtu.be/NPJleHP0rNk

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
For track days I found Cobra Monaco's to be an inexpensive, yet comfortable seat. Anything along that line (many diff brands to choose from) should be affordable. If you want better with more containment, then Kirkey and Ultra Shield have good options.

https://www.subesports.com/

I won't be needing the pass seat any longer if you want a used one. It's out of date as far as FIA rating, but is fine for track days. Only thing is I have no desire to ship it!

thanks for the offer if you decide you want to ship it let me know!

So here is my dilemma my wife is 5'3 and i'm 6'2 ideally i want a seat that is adjustable. I noticed the Corbeau's have a race seat that is adjustable.

Do you have yours fixed or on a track to move back and forward?
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:58 AM

kirkey

I was on the fence for a long time trying to decide what to use for a seat. I finally just went for the kirkey full containment seat, but was worried about how comfortable it would be street driving the car. I've spent over and hour in the seat and it is surprising just and comfortable as the seats in my other cars.
now getting in and out is more of a challenge. The first dozen times were a pain but I have it figured out now so it's not to bad. But, a removable steering wheel is a must.

You really have a nice car to start with.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1855.jpg (93.3 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by 69BossElim; 09-16-2015 at 12:01 PM.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2Paz View Post
Do you have yours fixed or on a track to move back and forward?
I used to have the adj mounts that came with the seats (made the seat sit a little too high), but ditched them in favor of fixed mounts (made the seat sit lower). I don't have the adjustable mounts anymore.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
I used to have the adj mounts that came with the seats (made the seat sit a little too high), but ditched them in favor of fixed mounts (made the seat sit lower). I don't have the adjustable mounts anymore.
Do you recall the height difference? I believe a lot of their seats have an option for cutting the lower cushion shorter by 1". Maybe that would negate the extra height from the adj. mounts.

Edit: just realized you were referring to your Cobra seats. My comment is about Corbeau.

1967 Mustang Hardtop
Old build thread - SF
Current build thread - VMF
2013 Subaru BRZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page