Mike Maier Mod2? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mike Maier Mod2?

Hey everyone,

so I have a coupe '68 mustang and I am not interested in selling it. So I'm thinking, why not have fun with it?

so looking around for some suspension solutions and I came across this:
https://www.mikemaierinc.com/product...ar-suspension/

can anyone give me the experience they had with this product?

what is this solution intended for?
as for myself, I am aiming to create my coupe into a autocross and maybe track car - with some spirited driving on the streets of course

If someone can fill me in, let me know!

*added question*
Does anyone have information as to why, the previous version looked like this (when comparing to how it's shown in the link above?):
http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-conte...y-1200x800.jpg

website shows a wide M formation
article shows an X formation

Last edited by romayo; 10-16-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:50 PM

You went right to the top, cream of the crop, for autocross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GTMDhLG2Y
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, I am aware of that video. That is how I become exposed to MM's solution about the mustangs sloppy steering/handling.

But, I'm stuck between this and Griggs GR-350.

This is why I am asking.

Last edited by romayo; 10-16-2015 at 09:03 PM.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:22 PM

If you haven't already planned it, head out to Fontana at the Auto Club Speedway.

Cal Club / SCCA - Auto Club Speedway

You might get some good ideas and can talk to the people who use the products.

Also, this weekend are the NMCA drag finals.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:45 PM

My guess on the reason for change was manufacturing cost, that all machined billet had to be costly.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 PM

Hey there guys, I was just locking up and I thought I would take a peak at the forum and I saw this. I would love to hang and talk but I have to run. However I will for sure over the weekend try to answer as much as possible. Just a few tid bits before I run. The cost is such because every one is hand made to order. Also most companies will sell you do it yourself weld in kits to keep cost down. This kit is all welded up as much as we can with out installing it for you. The change in the rockers was made for improvement. With the old design rockers if you wanted to change ratio's you had to buy a whole new billet chunk and that was really costly. This new design is lighter, more versatile and less invasive on the car. Not to mention 25 lbs lighter. We moved the push rod locations for a better motion ratio as well. This is what we have been using all season in the Ultimate street car series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtNK50Y5WI

Here is a clip from the Shelby club event a couple of moths ago with that rear end.

Well have a good Friday night guys.
Mike
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:06 PM

Oh yea I for got to say that was on 200 tread wear tires.

Ok I really gotta go!!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:10 PM

Tree'd! Atleast I'm paying attention and got some of it correct!

I'm sure Mike will chime in at some point but I'll take a stab at it. The billet aluminum version was the first design Mike came up with and even it went through some changes to dial it in. I'd imagine every time he wanted to change the rocker ratio it became time and money consuming. With the new design changing the rocker ratio becomes a lot easier, manufacturing time, quality control and being able to build it all in house I'm sure has something to do with it.

JRI also has a lot more options on the style of mounts they have compared to a few years ago when this was first created.

I've got Mikes front set up as well as some other goodies and couldn't be happier with the ride, performance and service I've received.
What have you got planned for the rest of the car?

Last edited by Dbasher; 10-16-2015 at 10:13 PM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Mechanic View Post
If you haven't already planned it, head out to Fontana at the Auto Club Speedway.

Cal Club / SCCA - Auto Club Speedway

You might get some good ideas and can talk to the people who use the products.

Also, this weekend are the NMCA drag finals.
Thanks for the link - not sure why I didn't think of that. But for this weekend, that is a no-can-do. There will always be more in the future!

damn engineering courses
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maier View Post
Ok I really gotta go!!
Alright Mike, when you have the chance please fill me in. I gotta ask because the cost is a commitment for me. Being a full time student money leaves faster than it can stay

Quote:
If you can hit these notes and talk about them:
  • ride quality
  • dryness-rougness
  • smoothness
  • response
  • wheel hop
  • lunging
  • translating acceleration to the wheels
  • braking
  • how low can I put my car before I need to have concerns
  • This kit eliminates the need for springs? (not clearly mentioned if it still uses them or completely not needed)
for now, I have a small block 302 that has pretty much all the bells and whistles ~320hp/330torque I'm bored of it already.

I'm creating a plan for the future to swap for a bigger displacement - aiming somewhere 500-600 hp/RWT. in preparation to handle the WOT torque

I'm looking to build everything around my coupe first then I will swap the engine last.

Last edited by romayo; 10-17-2015 at 12:11 AM.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:54 PM

Subscribing,

Love that set up
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Ok, here are a few points of interest about the MOD2 rear suspension system. We originally designed it so that during the growth of your car you did not look back and say " Jee, I wish I would have known that before I did this". Things like brake caliper puck knock back, hub seal leaks, Tearing pick up points, exhaust clearance among a list of other important issues come up when buying a suspension system. We intended on this to be a product for someone building a whole car from scratch once.

Since the creation of this system we have made multiple trips to Lake Tahoe from the San Francisco area, commuted to work which used to be 50 Miles round trip and lately with the new redesign each Ultimate street car competition requires at least a 50 mile trip per event. This has included the special places of beautiful Riverside Ca , Milwaukee Wisconsin to Sheboygan and Drives through North Carolina to mention a couple. The car does ride very well and is a pleasure to drive on the road.

Acceleration and braking. We also have been doing a start stop challenge at each event as well. These events are different each time but with the same concept. You need to launch, go through some sort of a gate most of the time and stop in a box. We are normally in the top three out of all the competitors in our class. Lets put this in perspective. A friend of ours Jake Rozzel with his beautifully prepared DSE equipped Camaro of which we beat at the last event just got back from LS fest and did a 11.01 on the strip in his auto cross trim on 200 tread wear tires. On the road course we have been able to get enough rear brake applied to burn the plating off the brake pad backing plates. It is impressive for sure. On the auto cross we see about a 150 degree difference between the front and rear of the car if I am remembering right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWR8ldXD-Uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx0-K-LVmG4

Ride height and springs, We always look to lower the car as much as possible. A couple of limiting factors are the drive shaft tunnel, over the top of the rear end housing and room for springs and shocks. We addressed the spring and shock problem by moving them into the car. This allows us to get the car to what ever height we want by adjusting the push rod lengths. Once you get the car down where the tunnel is an issue it starts to create a multitude of other issues so we stopped there. Long story short we can get the car as low as we want until cutting the floor becomes an issue.

Some of the other questions were Wheel hop. About the only time I get wheel hop is when I really mess up a down shift. I'm really not sure what you mean by dryness-roughness and lunging, sorry.

I hope this helps out a bit

Last edited by Mike Maier; 10-19-2015 at 10:34 AM.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Mechanic View Post
You went right to the top, cream of the crop, for autocross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GTMDhLG2Y
I was going to post the very same link.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:08 PM
fej

Having seen Mike's Ol Blue running multiple times in person, it has WAY more grip than any 1st Gen Mustang should ever have with 850hp on tap. No you can't mat it and stop paying attention, if you are looking for that buy a GTR. But from a handling and grip perspective, I don't think there is a better solution for the rear end of the early cars than this system, with one of the major benefits being you can basically get the ride height and roll center down to anywhere you want, without being limited by clearances as Mike said.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fej View Post
No you can't mat it and stop paying attention, if you are looking for that buy a GTR.
Well no worries about that comparison, I have a stang and I want to track it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page