Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Fire extinguisher solutions, post your pics

12K views 44 replies 37 participants last post by  Sparky66 
#1 ·
I will never again drive my car without a fire extinguisher. All it took for me to get to that conclusion was to have smoke all around me and see flames coming up out of my hood. Once its out of the shop, I'm going to get a fire extinguisher. Where do you guys keep them? Are they permanently mounted? Velcroed? Even if it had been in the trunk, it would have saved me from a rebuild (thank God for insurance), but I'm not sure the trunk is a great place but I assume if there was a fire in the gas tank I wouldn't be sticking around trying to put it out but be running like heck.

#2 ·
Mine is mounted in the trunk - not the best place but at least I have one.

Once I'm done doing my drive-train upgrades, I plan on relocating to the passenger cabin for easier access.

Looking forward to some fellow member pictures for mounting ideas (66 FB)

Sorry to hear about your issue and hope all turns out for the better.

#29 ·
Really?

I don't think that mounting the F.E. right behind the shiftier is ugly - at all. I interpret it as giving the interior a more track style look

Reactions: SKEL A STANG
#4 ·
Mine was just sitting in the trunk when a P/S line puked its guts out onto my tri-y hearers. while pulling out from a cruise in. Spectators were hollering and pointing out the flames to me, I slammed to a stop, hit my electric trunk release switch under the dash, grabbed the 10# extinguisher and doused the flames with no damage other than my ego.
It scared the living bejeebers out of me and was glad I had the remote trunk release and the fire extinguisher on board.
I carry an extinguisher in all of my vehicles not just the 68.

Reactions: mu_stange_66
#12 ·
I was thinking to put mine on the floor behind the passenger seat, somewhat out of the way but still reachable quickly. I have other plans for the center console and I really don't want it around anyone's feet (rear passengers rare if at all).
Anybody do that? :shrug:

#39 ·
I did.

I mounted it to an large piece of plywood that I painted black. I put some velcro on the board that it keeps it from sliding around and the board is big enough that its not going flying if there was an accident.
Not the best solution but it works or now

....subscribed...

#13 ·
This is what I bought off Amazon, it is mounted behind the driver seat. They call it a "tuning fire extinguisher". Comes with mounting bracket. I never have passengers ride in the back and if I need it quick it is right there.

Attachments

#14 ·
Which fire chemical is everyone running. I know the household ABC extinguishers are cheap but I heard the powder is caustic when mixed with heat and moisture and is almost impossible to completely clean up.

I'm looking at a Halon replacement, Haltron 1, for about $125. The good - no trace of chemical remains; the bad - the fire can reignite if it's still hot enough since no chemical agent remains. I might just go with the 5lb haltron for the ultimate solution but that runs over $200. It would suck to have a fire, put out the fire, and still have much of your ride destroyed from chemicals.

H3R Performance | HG250B Black Car Fire Extinguisher

#20 ·
Halon or Halotron is what you want, it is non toxic, non corrosive and more effective that dry chemical. These are the only types of extinguishers that are allowed to be used in aircraft, however, they are more expensive.
Whatever type of extinguisher that you get, make sure that it has a sturdy metal bracket and is securely mounted so that it will not come loose and injure someone in an accident.

#15 ·
I've got a Halotron 2.5lb. It just wedges next to my tool bag in the rear passenger floor pan, no sweat.

Given the alarming frequency with which my car seems to puke fluids onto the headers, I have no idea how it hasn't burst into flame yet. My theory is that I'm just always going so fast that the fire gets left behind :roflao:

#16 ·
I just shove mine under the rear of the drivers seat. Have not had to use it yet thank god.

Reactions: daves67ss
#24 ·
I have a Halon extinguisher mounted in the trunk. I don't care for it to break loose from it's flimsy mount and become a missile in the interior in the advent of an accident. I've seen firsthand people become injured and killed by loose objects in the interior of a vehicle. An extra few seconds is not going to make that much difference in case of a fire.

#25 ·
you really want them secured any way you can

a loose FE will become a missile if you get hit hard enough and if the nozzles breaks or it can take off your head.

mine in the trunk, not good. I have to figure out a better place over the winter.

I think i can jerri rig something to the seat belt bolts or seat track in the rear

#26 ·
This story is a few years old, but offers some great tips on mounting with brackets for various years, types of extinguishers, etc. I learned a lot from researching the materials when I wrote it and every car we own has a mounted extinguisher (all Halotron style) and I have a unit in the garage, kitchen, and my external workshop.

How To: Fire Protection For Your Mustang - Mustang Monthly Magazine

HTH!
Mark

#27 ·
I'm REAL big on securing these things. With bolts and purpose made brackets. In an accident things tend to get VERY violent very suddenly. Anything not bolted down becomes a potential missile aimed at your skull.
The way I look at it, if you don't have time to run around to the trunk and get your extinguisher, what you really need to be doing is running. And if it's the trunk itself that's on fire then REALLY run.

#32 ·
Mine is behind the passenger seat in the floor board. Not mounted, but it's shape kind of wedges underneath the seat, so it doesn't roll around.

This thread is a good reminder though, I wouldn't mind attaching it, and I probably need to buy a new one. Mine's never been used, but with safety equipment, it's always best to keep it fresh.

#33 ·
And what would be the recommended weight of it..?
I will have to add one to my pony, security first.!

Josep

#34 ·
I feel any extinguisher is better than none--even if it is in the trunk. If you want to get really fancy, install a suppression system like we have in the race car. We have a 5 lb Halon bottle mounted behind the driver's seat and it is plumbed under the hood with 2 spray nozzles with a T handle under the steering column for activation. It was not that expensive but likely way over kill in a street car but if you want near instant protection, this is hard to beat. If I recall correctly, it was under $400 and the install took me just a day--you could take a bit longer and make it nearly unseen by the casual observer. Again, likely overkill for our street cars but it would get the looks at the car show though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.