Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 Fastback Stolen in Utah Oct.6,2016

7K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  dkutz 
#1 ·
Hello All,

My car was stolen in Utah on Oct. 6, 2016. It could possibly have been moved by now and could be anywhere at this point.
1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 fastback; Red exterior color with bright red interior; 289 cubic inch V8 with automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes. Equipped with GT options: fog lights, dual exhaust, Rally-Pac, custom Retrosound stereo system, Cragar s/s chrome wheels with Hoosier Radial GT tires.
If anyone has any information or seen this car, please contact the West Jordan, UT police dept. Case #16H015874 Phone 801-256-2000
VIN 5R09C184036
I restored the car myself and it’s been in our family for 13 years.
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Its a shame they don't hang horse thieves anymore. Please tell us you had insurance on it. I haven't left mine unattended overnight yet, but I plan to next year. I will have preventive measures and a tracking system on it by then. When I restored mine I stamped and engraved everything on the car. At least if it is stolen and stripped I or someone may stumble on something off the car at a swap meet, or the cops may see it while investigating something unrelated and dig in to it a bit....It still may be found so hold onto that hope.

#6 ·
This may not be of any help, but I was recently speaking with someone about how cars such as yours (classic, valuable, stands out, etc) are often shipped overseas and sold after they've been stolen since they can't really be driven in public safely and aren't worth much when stripped - considering all the parts are used...and stolen ofc. Now it's a long shot, but if it were me, I would call around to some of the automobile shippers in the larger port cities there on the West coast and give them the vin for your car, tell them it's stolen, and ask them to give you a call if anyone contacts them about shipping a 65 fastback. It'd take a pretty significant time investment, but I personally would just be beating my head into the driveway if I wasn't being kept busy by it.

Also, many car thieves these days don't really know anything about cars; sure they can jump a pair of ignition column wires, but if the ignition system has a discontinuity (such as removing the rotor button from your dizzy) then they can crank it all day long and go nowhere. I used that trick while in college, and the one time someone tried to steal my mustang they got nowhere - granted they got pissed and slashed up my vinyl seats. Although, if they have a flatbed, all bets are off..... :(

Edit: what happystang said ^

#7 · (Edited)
"That's waaaay too nice to be stripped. Odds are it's in a shipping container."

+1

I'm betting the same.. Somebody is hoping for some fast cash..

I would contact NICB (See website link Below) and have the car's VIN# logged in with them. If it hits a shipping container and they have not changed the VIN#'s, The car should be red flagged at the California docks..

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/

I'll keep a look out for it here in Central Florida..

I put his VIN#5R09C184036 in the database, and it NICB DOES show the car as stolen. His insurance company worked pretty fast getting it in there!

:eek:)

Tony K.

#10 ·
Just wanted to say I'm sorry your car was stolen and I really hope they find it. I saw a post just the other day about a 50's car (don't remember what) being found in a shipping container 5 miles from where it got stolen... so I hope that that's what happens to you.

Having Jane stolen is my worst nightmare. Fortunately, it will also be the thief's worst nightmare :)

Reactions: Lqpete
#11 ·
How she got stolen and advice to others

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. My car was stolen right out of my garage during the night. Indeed, it was insured but I'd rather get the car back than collect insurance money. I restored it myself so this is a particularly painful loss. In hindsight, here are a few anti-theft tips. Pull the rotor out of the distributor when your car is parked. Get Lojack or some other GPS tracking device than can be linked to your smartphone. I have a security system on my house but they never installed a lift sensor on the overhead garage door; it has now been added. Zip tie the manual release rope on your automatic garage door opener as a thief can fish a coat hanger through the top and yank it to disconnect that, then the garage door can be lifted up by hand. Keep your cars locked and keys out of your garage!

Copy and paste this link into your broswer. Watch this and see how easy it is for a thief to get into a garage.

#15 ·
I installed magnetic sensors on both our garage doors but we rarely set the alarm when we are at home. Maybe should start. I am pretty light sleeper though and an electric combination away from my .45 ACP.

#18 ·
I had two pieces of formed sheet metal placed on my door to prevent the slide from being accessible from the outside.
I can take a pic when i get home for those that are interested. The two pieces lay over one another and 'lock' into place to prevent the coat hanger trick.
It was inexpensive piece of mind and security. I'm sorry that it won't help much now that you've already been hit, though.

#21 ·
I have a hidden kill switch in the car that interrupts voltage to the ignition. I make sure it's always on no matter where my car is. And my car's existence is never advertised at my place short of when I'm coming or going.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
Also, my wife always nags me to insure my garage door locks are set.....does yours?
I learned about the "zip tie" deal a couple years ago.
Good luck mate, hope there's a happy ending in your future!

#29 ·
I took off the plastic pull handle to the pull cord on my garage door so it's harder to grab.
I may looking into a gps tracking device too for each Stang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.