Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Front brake pad recommendation - 66 289

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  GT289 
#1 ·
I am due to a new set of brake pads. any suggestions on what brand for improved braking?

#3 ·
What kind of driving will you be doing?

EBC Yellowstuff is a good all around pad.

#4 · (Edited)
I think the yellowstuff pad is more race oriented. According to the ebc chart, the yellowstuff pad is for "fastest street and track days" while the redstuff is for "spirited street use", where I think many of us would better fit . That said, I've never used them, as the redstuff pad suited me so well.

Brakes Selector Chart - EBC Brakes

The Porterfield pads are a favorite for many people. My favorite are the ebc redstuff pads. They are a dramatic change in stopping power over the stock OEM pads. Several people here on the forum use them,and I haven't heard any negatives from actual users.

Z

#13 ·
I think the yellowstuff pad is more race oriented. According to the ebc chart, the yellowstuff pad is for "fastest street and track days" while the redstuff is for "spirited street use", where I think many of us would better fit.
Maybe I should start driving more defensively...:grin2:

#5 ·
If you have no desire to track or autocross the car, race pads are an unnecessary expense IMO. There are better/cheaper options for street driving.

That said, I used R4S pads and shoes for a period of time when the 66 spent some time on the street. They are superb.

#9 ·
ANY friction material supplied by SSBC should go directly into the dumpster.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: green1965
#7 ·
Porterfields are awesome pads. . . .but. . . .when they're cold, like any serious performance pad they don't stop you worth a cr@p. You want to pucker up? Go for nice spirited drive, great! . . .and then. . . get on the freeway for next 30-45 miles and watch how well they perform when you get off the freeway. Super nice pads when they're hot, but they'll definitely get your attention when they're cold. In other words, stick to street pads on the street, and track pads on the track.

#10 ·
Not my experience on Porterfield R-4S.
Had a set last on a 2005 Ford Five Hundred. On the city street or highway,
they stopped like you were dragging an aircraft carrier anchor.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#8 ·
I use EBC Yellowstuff on the front of my F 150. They work well when cold and don't fade even when a trailer is trying to push me down a hill.

#12 ·
I have been running Hawk HPS's for a number of years now and have always been very happy with them. Plan on giving some RS-4's a shot when this set wears out though since people seem to love them so much.

#19 ·
Ha! As if that were the only problem with them....
Cardboard has a better Mμ

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: zray
#18 ·
I think people would be a lot more satisfied with their brake Kit from SSBC, or anyone else, if there was an option to get a premium pad instead of the generic OEM pad.

I think John @ Opentracker will sell a pad upgrade if desired, but I'm not sure the other vendors offer that option.

Z

#20 ·
I can only comment in general as the stang isn't rolling yet. I have used EBC greenstuff on my F-250 hauling a 6k trailer down 9 mile canyon (you would had to have driven it to know it) and it works very well. When I replace brakes I tried the Hawk HPS and they couldnt come close to the greens. I only ran the Hawks for about 1500 miles before switching back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.