Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Water Pump pulley hitting main pulley!

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  65fstbpieces 
#1 ·
I previously had a 1 groove main pulley installed and due to the addition of a few accessories, I added a 3 groove main pulley. Now, I cannot install the water pump pulley because it hits the largest groove on the main pulley (See picture).

What do you think could be the problem? My hunch is that I just found out that my current water pump is a PRW 1435100 High Flow Aluminum Water Pump. This water pump is for a 351C. My engine is a 351W. I assume that the 351C pump sits lower than the 351W?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
This water pump is for a 351C. My engine is a 351W. I assume that the 351C pump sits lower than the 351W?
Impossible. The 351C and 351W use completely different pumps which do not interchange.

It's likely that you have paired an AC crank pulley with a non-AC water pump pulley. Ford tended to use smaller water pump pulleys on AC cars.

#14 ·
So I ended up getting a very nicely machined 351W 3 Groove kit from March Performance. I am very happy with it. My only concern is that I may need to use a spacer on my main pulley. The first groove actually sits behind the alignment of my water pump pulley. This means the second groove (or center groove) aligns with my water pump pulley.

I plan on using power steering and AC. Does this sound like something that a Spacer would fix? As of now I am not sure if the first groove on my main pulley is usable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.