Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Clutch Linkage alignment on 71 Mustang

951 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  frdnut 
#1 ·
Hey All,

This is part 2 of the woes. I cannot seem to get my clutch linkage to properly align on my 71 Mustang. (I recently installed a Lakewood Bellhousing if that helps).

Where can I begin with fixing this issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
My clutch linkage was already screwed up previously (see pictures below). However it seems like it was somewhat aligned. This is the first time that I am addressing this issue. There was no guarantee that that parts were the correct ones to begin with. This is why I decided to start by ordering new parts.

The main issue thus far is getting things aligned with some sort of bracket mounting to the bell housing.

I got that Z bar from CJ Pony Parts. I'm wondering if I should just return it.

Attachments

#4 ·
I would just make all new linkage with rod ends. I did that on my 66. It was cheap and easy and works great. You can get 3/8" rod ends any place and cheap. I used 3/8" cold rolled steel rod available any place. The rod ends will compensate for the minor mis alignments you have. And did I say it works great?

#5 ·
That's seriously what you have for a "Z-bar" angle?
That can't possibly be right.
The frame side mount is stock? And that engine side mount?
Where is that from?

You gotta get that z-bar situation sorted out before moving
forward.

#7 ·
He's got a '71. Totally different parts.....

Attachments

#8 ·
Looks like you need a hunk of spacer underneath that pivot ball adapter due to the difference in "thickness" of the stamped Lakewood bellhousing vs. the cast aluminum Ford piece... There is a lot more "meat" around the flange where the bolts go through to the block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.