Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Smoking...What Next?

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  njyork89 
#1 · (Edited)
Good evening folks, I haven't posted or updated my build thread in a while as I've started a new job and hadn't had much time lately. This thread provides some backstory but isn't necessary reading to answer my question..

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/936961-night-mare-69-coupe.html#post7673025\

My 69 couple has the motor from a 84 E150 van I got for $500, and I did the 302 and aod trans swap. I had another 302 originally that I replaced due to some valve issues and not being able to keep the car running...which had replaced the original 6 cylinder...so this is my 3rd motor.

In the van the motor had some fueling issues but I was able to run it off of what I poured into the carb. Ran good, sounded good, and didn't smoke. The guy who sold it to me is a friend of mine and said he parked it when it started running bad. Figured this was a chance at an AOD and to get my car on the road. I pulled the motor from the van, cleaned it up, changed oil pan and pickup tube to fit the stang, changed the intake to a Weiand stealth so I could put on a 4 barrel Edelbrock. Changed valve covers and put in a HEI distributor.

Had some problems getting it running for a long time. Eventually turned out that the resistor wire to the coil from the ignition wasn't providing the full 12v to run the aftermarket coil. Finally got that figured out after lots of backfires through carb and numerous attempts to set timing etc.

Now to the first problem, I started filling the radiator up with water and started the car as I was filling it up. I noticed it was taking a bit to fill up the radiator and by the time I realized the radiator should definitely be full but wasn't it was a bit late. Water started pouring out the side of the motor. A freeze plug had popped out of the car. Water had been pouring straight into the oil pan through my poorly sealed intake gasket from when I put on the new intake.. So the motor overheated and the pan was filled with water. I started by draining the oil/ water and dumped some kerosene into the lifter valleys to help clean out the pan a bit better before putting on a new intake gasket and finally put in another freeze plug.

I started the car up again and it appeared as though disaster had been avoided. Car was running fine every time I crunk it. Fast forward to this weekend on Saturday. I finally had most everything sorted out but had never tested my aod trans.. So I filled up my trans and started the car to go for a little drive around the field. Everything seemed to be going great for the most part. Car was running good and pulling strong. It idled for a good while too. No issues. I even did a couple small donuts in the field and took a short drive down the road. I was excited to finally be driving my car.

Then on Sunday I went to start the car again and drive it around a bit more and work on some things. Car wouldn't start. It was no longer getting fuel. I found it odd that the new fuel pump went out that fast, but I figured it might have got a little clogged from trash in the tank...so I replaced it and the car fired right up. I went down the road again this time and got on it a little harder. When I went to turn around and go back to my house the car started running really rough and missing badly and white smoking. I limped it home without it dying. I decided to replace the plugs because I figured one had fouled out and discovered one of the plugs had cracked porcelain and it was jumping fire and causing my problems. They were pretty dark, but I didn't think a whole lot of it. I replaced them and it was running great again.

Today after work, I decided to go do a little more work on the car, but first a short test drive. I started it and let it warm up and took a couple laps around the field with no issues. There was a little white smoke but this burned off pretty quick. I finally pulled out into the road and floored it and hung the rear end out for about 20 feet and pulled it back in and layed rubber for probably another 20 feet. It was running great for a stock van motor. I got to the turn around spot again and had the same problem. Car immediately started backfiring and blowing plenty of white smoke. I limped it back home and popped the hood. First thought is bad head gasket from when the car overheated, but I'm not getting any bubbles in the radiator with the car running and I'm not getting any water in the oil. After letting the car idle for a few more minutes it started running good again. I decided to take a lap around the field and got on it a little harder than before and it went back to missing and white smoking. I pulled plug and it is dark..

So do you reckon when it overheated I blew a headgasket or my motor is toast and needs new rings? Maybe a valve seating problem? I'm not sure at this point.. So what is next?

Should I start saving for a crate motor that I can't really afford right now since I'm trying to buy a house? Lol :shrug:

See less See more
#2 ·
I had white smoke on my 69 after sitting for 7 years. I did a Marvel Mystery Oil treatment (pore a bottle down the carb until it dies, let it sit 2 days, start it up and enjoy the smoke-show) and after that oil burned off (probably 2 hours of running it), it fixed my problem (I assume a sticking ring). Also you mention your intake. Check for proper torque settings all the way around, that could let coolant into the exhaust. Backfire may not be related, check your timing.

#4 ·
Please properly warn your wife, the white-smoke cloud will cover your entire house and make her think you just died.

do an ether test around your manifold just to be sure. I had to re-torque my Weiand Stealth twice for some reason.

#6 ·
Mine didn't start smoking until higher RPM either, I think that was a sticky ring. For the backfire, try removing your vacuum advance hose from the distributor and see if that changes anything. I had a similar problem with mine and the diaphragm was bad.

#10 ·
Option #2 is to go to your local AutoZone or Advance Auto "loan-a-tool" program and borrow their cooling system tester, top off the rad, start the car and pump that baby up to 15# and see if it starts running like a turd.:pirate:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.