Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Any 8 inch experts out there

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  1930 
#1 ·
Im afraid that my couple of questions might get lost on another thread and Id like to get all this back together.

Pulled my axles so that I could install disk brake setup from Grand Marquis, bearing stayed on axle as I guess it should but looks to me as if it may have been spinning within the housing ( I might be wrong, just looks that way to me )

Is it supposed to spin in the housing? ( I doubt it )

I need to remove bearing from axle so that I can place shim on the outer bearing side to keep it from walking back and forth cause the disk mounting plate is thicker than the original drum backing plate, is the thickness of shim really all that critical? Just looking at it looks to me as if I can take the old drum backing plate, cut out the original metal, stick it in there and would fit nicely if that makes any sense.

Also, is it typical to save that retaining collar when removing the old bearing?

I can press on the old one and Ill assume itll only press on so far so not a whole lot of room for goof there?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The retaining collar must be removed before removal of the bearing. Dont try to press them off together. Carefully drill about 7/8 of the way thru the collar with say a 5/16 drill bit. Be careful not to drill so far that the drill bit contacts the axle shaft, then put a cold chisel across the hole, in line with the axle shaft & a sharp rap with a hammer should release the retaining ring.

#4 ·
Thanks, I am now wondering if Napa can supply the needed collar as well assuming it would not come with bearing.

#6 ·
I need to remove bearing from axle so that I can place shim on the outer bearing side to keep it from walking back and forth cause the disk mounting plate is thicker than the original drum backing plate, is the thickness of shim really all that critical? Just looking at it looks to me as if I can take the old drum backing plate, cut out the original metal, stick it in there and would fit nicely if that makes any sense.
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like a bad idea.

#7 ·
Im open to better suggestions, this is from what Iv read online the way people have solved the issue of the axle walking

#9 ·
I don't get the "shim". Do you mean something to fit between the bearing and the outer retainer? A piece of the backing plate wouldn't do anything other than move the bearing retainer farther out. If you need a shim I'd have a machine shop turn a piece of the same dimensions as the outer race of the bearing of the desired thickness. As far as the axle housing and the bearing spinning in it, some regularly spaced whacks with a cold chisel should raise enough "splines" to hold the bearing.

#11 ·
I was not clear enough, I think I can cut the part of the backing plate ( which Im assuming would be close enough to the correct thickness to stop axle from walking ) to the same outer diam. as the bearing itself and that placed in front of bearing but behind bearing retainer tucked into the backing plate bracket would solve the issue.

There is an e-bay seller 1965-1973 Ford Mustang+ Rear Disc Brake Adapting Parts 9" 8" kit for conversion | eBay that sells the 4 shims but Im having a hard time swallowing the cost.

#10 ·
GT289 had to shim his bearing retainers to prevent "axle walk". Pay attention to Post #10 in this thread.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ess-steel-brakes-rear-disc-kit-a110-18-a.html

#12 ·
#21 ·
thought this was going to be an innout deal but not quite, mixed up my axles now, one short and one longer, which side does the shorty go on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.