Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Headliner rods/ listing correct holes?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  coupster 
#1 ·
I can't get the front most bow to pop into place, as in my headliner is a hair too tight. I can't remember if these are the correct locations for the "rods" that hold the rear most bow from coming any further forward... any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I've used some wire to pull it forward and hold it in place, simlar to the wires in the back. I can't remember if there were already holes in the front, or if I drilled some new ones. But it worked, just make sure you pull it evenly to keep your seam straight.

#5 ·
The front rod doesn't really pop as you say, but is held forward by the liner itself. It should be close to straight up or even just slightly over center towards the front- otherwise it will constantly pull the material towards the rear and cause wrinkles. I did the same as Coupster- used wires in the front to pull it tighter. As I recall I think maybe there were even holes there already that I used. Then went and glued the edges in place using clothes pins to keep them tight across the front and back. The pinch weld molding holds the sides nicely.

#6 ·
Why do I feel like (unless I added rods in the front) that the front bow would lean back or fall back at eventually... I would cry if I got this done and had to pull the windows haha.

#7 ·
  • Install the rods (in the correct order) in the headliner.
  • Install the headliner rods in the holes in the roofrail.
  • (Use whichever holes in the roofrail give the correct curve)
  • Attach the two list wires to the rear bow rod.
  • Clip the center of the headliner to the center of the front pinchweld.
  • Work your way out from the center, gluing the headliner to the pinchweld without wrinkles.
  • Clip the headliner to the pinchweld, using clips or pieces of old windlace.
  • Repeat for the rear pinchweld.
  • Clip both sides to the pinchweld, work out any wrinkles.
  • Glue the sides of the headliner to the roofrail pinchwelds, install windlace.

Reactions: Caper50
#8 · (Edited)
Ah, I see you live in South Dakota. So, how warm is it in the Garage? I ask because I put the headliner in my 66 on a cold day here in Chicago. The next summer, it was slightly loose and saggy. So, make sure it is very warm when you pull it and glue the front edge down.

#9 ·
22GT I'll follow your instruction's this afternoon when I try again. Thank you!

Roddster- it's a heated garage. I have yet to totem the heat on yet because it stays a pretty consistent 65 degrees aso long as I keep the door shut. Maybe I'll kick the heat on for this afternoon and see if I can get it

#10 ·
I had it tight as a drum in a cool 97 degree garage...it was over 100 outside..You gotta love South Texas in August....It does "relax" in the winter, but still tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.