Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What size is retaining nut on V8 spindle?

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  GT289 
#1 ·
What size is retaining nut on V8 spindle?

-

G
#4 ·
I have always set wheel bearing preload by feel. I even taught it that way. You tighten the nut tight, until everything is seated. You are aplly some real pressure. Then you back off the nut about 1/2-3/4 turn and spin the drum/rotor a few times around. Then tighten the nut just until it is snug. There should be no play in the bearing assembly. The drum/rotor should spin easily. Install cotter castle and cotter pin. I have always used channel lock type pliers.

#7 ·
I have seen spindle nuts with the same internal thread have different external sizes. But I would say that they are in the general area of 1" to 1-1/8" on the hex.
And like the other responders I really don't know the exact size of the hex because I was taught by my father to use Channellock pliers exactly like PP described. And I have never suffered a wheel bearing failure doing it that way for 50 years.

#8 ·
Same here- Exactly the same way with channel pliers and never had a problem. Sure there's an exact way recommended by Ford, but this method has never failed me. I can't tell you how many wheels I installed using the Armstrong torque spec until I got an actual torque wrench- none of them fell off...

#9 ·
We've covered this subject before. I'm torn on this topic because I'm in the
bearing industry currently. I do a lot of this training (wheel end), albeit in
the class 7/8 truck part of the market. We stress doing this job of torquing
wheel bearing retaining nuts the correct way. In the truck biz there are
actually guidelines for doing the job. (RP618A) This is because of the
immense liability involved.
I realize a 65-73 Mustang is not a 27 ton vehicle, but bearing failures
happen all the time due to improper torque & procedure.
My recommendation is that a beginner follow the exact procedure in the
Ford shop manual until such time as he has developed a "calibrated"
hand.

To my knowledge, the 65-68's ALL take a 1 1/16" socket for that nut.
The '69 updated 65/66 spindle takes the bigger bearings and uses the
bigger nut. And the 71-73 spindles also use that same larger nut.
(I believe 1970 is "officially" when you can be assured that it is the
bigger fastener because the engineering change was made in Aug '69).

Reactions: zray
#11 ·
If you can't answer my question why chime in?

#12 ·
1). 1st amendment to the US Constitution

2). The shop manual answers your original question very nicely, working on your car without one is simply inexcusable. I'll send you an extra copy of mine if you, can't afford to buy one.

3). The best way I see of helping you is to point out how you can help yourself, see #1 and #2 above

PS You don't have to like the way I "chime in", but there it is.

Z

#16 ·
^^^^^^^. This is exactly what I was alluding to by saying that following the shop manual is the best advice I can give someone who has not done the procedure many many times.

telling someone that I do it "by feel" isn't really helpful because they don't have the same experience that I have to go by. Otherwise you're putting the cart before the horse.

Z

#18 ·
According to Woody's chart the Ford specified torque range is 17 to 25 ft/lbs. According to my ciphering that's a 47% increase from the low end to the high end. Not exactly what I would call precision measuring. And then you back the nut OFF until the castellations line up with the cotter pin hole. I don't call that "precise" by any definition. Pliers aren't precise and neither is the Ford torque spec.

#19 ·
It's a matter of a torque spec to pre-load the bearing then a distance (the thread pitch times 1/6 of a rotation (one nut flat) loose.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever put a torque wrench on a tapered roller front wheel bearing set-up and I always use my Channellocks (water pump pliers, slip joint pliers, etc.).

#20 ·
It may not "sound" precise, but when you have a torque wrench on that nut, it goes from 17 to 25 pretty darn quick. The point is, what safe ? Ford determined that the range of torque specified is the SAFE range. Likewise, what an EXPERIENCED mechanic also does by feel, is also within a safe range.

What is absolutely not certain, is that a novice can know what feels right is ACTUALLY right. That's why a novice should use the shop manual guidelines until he or she develops a good feel for the job. That's something that only lengthy expereince can provide.

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.