Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'66 1-Speed Wiper Motor

643 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  LeeFred 
#1 ·
I never drive my car in the rain, but I had to have it inspected (VA) this morning and when the tech turn the wipers on, they came on, but remained in the up position. I could help them down, but it would just repeat the same sequence and stay up. They wouldn't come down and would pulse a little bit as if they were trying, but nothing. Voltage is good on the connections and the switch checked out OK. Should I just suck it up and order a new wiper motor? Is there a particular brand or place I should look? I've seen them range from $50.00 - $120.00 or so. I'd be willing to troubleshoot the motor itself, but I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks!

Tim

#2 ·
Pull the motor out, and pop the black plastic cover off- 3 screws if I remember correctly. Inside you'll find that the grease has either hardened, or worn away to the point that the small 'stop pin' is stuck. It'll make sense when you see it. Clean and re-grease it, then reassemble. I've had to do this several times on different cars and it's always worked.

Here's a link that might help

#3 ·
Thanks for the response! I was going to take it out anyway, so I figured I would take a peek inside to see if there were any issues. It worked last year at inspection time, but I have never turned them on, so maybe it just needs some TLC. Thanks!

Tim

#4 ·
Well, I feel like an idiot and relieved all at the same time. When I replaced my 3-speed with a 4-speed this summer, I had to reroute the speedo cable. When I connected it to the speedometer it was fine, but after I installed the instrument panel, there was enough slack in the cable that it got caught in between the transmission arm and the bracket. A simple reroute of the cable cured it and everything works as expected. Thanks for the help!

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.