Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 Inner fender question?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  gt350sr 
#1 ·
I had my car at the alignment shop the other day helping with some suspension issues and realignment. On the way home I noticed a small spot on the driver side fender protruding up in the paint. Got home and realized the underside of the fender got hit with something and had a small (for lack of a better term) reverse dent.
The body guy at the shop was able to fix it to my satisfaction but said I need to get the liners for the inside of the fenders to protect the fender from rocks and road debris coming off the tires.
Is there such an animal on a 66 coupe? I know most late model cars have them.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

#5 ·
Maybe some Dynamat type stuff?
I have rubberized undercoating sprayed all up in there but something thicker might work. Not sure how well it'd stick.
Another idea is adhesive thin foam insulation....

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure Dynamat would stick (and work!) just fine, having had the experience of removing some once. Once on metal, that stuff very much wants to stay there. The problem, for me anyway, is it's so heavy. One of the very last things I want to do is add more weight up front, too much there already. But that's just me. I have endeavored to watch weight (and the distribution thereof) on my build. There are compromises to be made for sure.

#15 ·
Very rare to have **** up on original fenders as they're pretty thick- now the repops however.... I too spray the bed liner on the underside for protection, but more so for rust repelling due to rock chips. Back in my days at GM they had issues with their rear dually fiberglass fenders star cracking due to rocks. Their ingenious fix? They sent a letter out to dealers to spray bed liner on them up to a 1/4" thick- no more, no less. It worked, but seemed more like a Band-Aid to most owners...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.