Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Finally found it....

5K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  69bosssvt 
#1 ·
My first car love and the reason for my obsession for mustangs came from a 1968 Shelby conv't from my childhood..With the prices going through the roof on these cars the reality of not owning one in this age has sunken in over the years...ALAS...Last week I got a phone call from a guy that knows a guy...we all have heard this before, so I was relatively pessimistic about the find. Well three days later the deal was done and I was able to get a '68 GT350 'vert, :pirate::pirate: here is a pic of my childhood "love"

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
A nicely restored '68 GT350 convertible will go for around $110-115K in today's market, If its a GT500, Add another 25-35K to that amount..

What did you wind up paying, and what kind of condition is it in??

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: 69bosssvt
#19 ·
Treasure your find! The interior alone is amazing! First thing that catches my eye is the mint Shelby steering wheel.
The pad assembly is irreplaceable. Note the black pad fits closely within the wheel. The pad shrinks with heat and age. When the pad shrinks the result is a large gap to the wheel rim and the metallic inner trim oval gets squeezed out. That wood grain inner pad is unique to Shelby. So hard to find that some have hand carved a wood "repo".

Next is the dash pad. They are 67/68 but even fairly good originals are very hard to find, the tooling was destroyed long ago and repos are decent, not great.

Some downgrade the 68 350 GT pointing out that they are a mild performing car, the engine being a J code 302.
Not a drag racer but a damn nice driving and great looking, pretty rare car.

Note my keeper is just a 68 Vert 289 C code. Love it.

Slim

#20 ·
here is a pic of my childhood "love"
I saw one that looked just like this in a used car lot in Olympia, WA. They wanted 13.5K for it....back in 1981.

#23 · (Edited)
Congrats -- that is one nice score you've got there!!
+1 on what Slim said - that original interior is in great shape and that's significant with 67-68 cars as some parts are just unobtainium like that steering wheel piece and diminishing supply of good NOS dash pads.
Its got the aluminum high rise manifold and Holley on it, so either it's an early car that the owner followed the Ford recall on, or a later car when Shelby finally got the high riser/carb combo cleared with the Fed's. You've a nice combination there, gives it a bit more "oooomph" and better drivability than the Ford 4300/standard intake that they were originally built with. Some original owners never did do the recall.
Enjoy the top down driving!

#25 ·
Congratulations, and I hope to see more pics on this thread when the car arrives! I'm sure you are waking up each morning with your first thought being "Do I really have a Shelby on it's way, or did I just dream that..."

#32 ·
If it was mine I'd say non of your business! No offense that's just what I would say or else not reply!

#31 ·
Always amazing to see pictures of a car that appears to have well cared for from day one. Like slim mentioned, the interior is amazing, the panel gaps are uniform, undercarriage is great. All point to the low mileage being accurate. You are indeed a lucky dog, enjoy your sweet Shelby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.