Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 straight 6 flywheel ring gear

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Hemikiller 
#1 ·
I don't see any posts related to my issue with current info or closure so here goes.
I have a 65 Mustang with 200 inline and 3 speed manual transmission with a 8-1/2" clutch that needs a new flywheel ring gear. The current ring gear has 132 teeth.
What replacement ring gear do I need and where can it be found? The supply system seems very good toward V8s but inlines are a bit sparse.

#3 ·
Reversible ring gear?

Thanks for the reply. When I looked at that gear the dimensions weren't right and I determined that I need a FRG132S. There's probably a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack than one of them.
Is is possible to remove the ring gear and flip it over and have a working ring gear? I don't know if they are tapered and only work in one position or if they can be reversed.
Thanks

#14 ·
Thanks for the reply. When I looked at that gear the dimensions weren't right and I determined that I need a FRG132S. There's probably a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack than one of them.
Is is possible to remove the ring gear and flip it over and have a working ring gear? I don't know if they are tapered and only work in one position or if they can be reversed.
Thanks
I did exactly that on a 240 six cylinder once. I was replacing the motor with another 240 six. The ring gear was pretty chewed up. I just evenly tapped the ring gear off, flipped it over and tapped it back on. Worked great.

#6 ·
IIRC, the ring gear for the 64-65 2.77, and 66 Dagenham, with the salad bowl flywheel is a 146T unit, and has not been available for years. I tried maybe 10 years ago to get a few makers interested, but no takers. Somebody should try that again.

There is no front or back to a flywheel ring gear, it could be reversed with no problem.

#8 ·
There is no front or back to a flywheel ring gear, it could be reversed with no problem.
Try tapping it off and flip it around. I've done that before.
If you decide to do this mark the location of the "boogered" teeth on ring gear and their location in reference to the flywheel before removal. There should be 3 areas where the teeth are boogered by the starter drive gear. When you reinstall the ring gear be sure to have "clean" teeth in the 3 locations where the boogered teeth were originally.
If you heat the ring gear in the oven (as hot as it goes) for a couple of hours it will literally drop in place on the flywheel.

#9 ·
My assumption is the flywheel is out of the car...Heat it with a torch....it won't take a lot of heat to get it to expand. Grip on opposite side with pliers or vise grips....heat it...once loose....flip it and drop it back on. Let it cool. I have done this several times. Very easy.

In and For Christ,
Glen

#11 ·
Thanks for the encouraging replies. I'll take it to a machine shop after the holidays and get it taken care of. I did count 3 times to verify the 132 tooth count. A few of them are out there but getting the correct diameter for the flywheel is the challenge.

#12 ·
I know where you can get a TOP QUALITY ring gear No BS.

I have a 63 Ford ranchero with an I6 200 with 8 1/2" clutch, manual 3 speed on the tree. I had the same problem with my ring gear. I found what I thought was right but it was for an automatic. Then come to find out they no longer make this ring gear. So the only way to get it is to find it on someone's shelf or find someone who can make it. My dad found someone and Its PERFECT, I torched the old one off, cleaned up the flywheel, preheated the oven to 400, baked the new ring gear for 20 min an she dropped right on. That's all you need, if you get her to hot she will loose the temper on the metal. Since I put the new ring gear in she starts like new money.

He's machinist (hes old school and he knows his stuff) he has about 100 of these ring gears cut and ready to ship once he gets your check.
His name is Al he he lives in Wisconsin, so please check the time there before calling.

Dont waste your time hunting the web, you wont find it.

This is a TOP QUALITY ring gear made with proper steel and heat treated, it will probably last longer than you do.
Made in the USA.
He deals with all ring gears as well.
Have I convinced you?

Al
please tell him Jerry and Todd said thank you.

#15 ·
I know where you can get a TOP QUALITY ring gear No BS.

I have a 63 Ford ranchero with an I6 200 with 8 1/2" clutch, manual 3 speed on the tree. I had the same problem with my ring gear. I found what I thought was right but it was for an automatic. Then come to find out they no longer make this ring gear. So the only way to get it is to find it on someone's shelf or find someone who can make it. My dad found someone and Its PERFECT, I torched the old one off, cleaned up the flywheel, preheated the oven to 400, baked the new ring gear for 20 min an she dropped right on. That's all you need, if you get her to hot she will loose the temper on the metal. Since I put the new ring gear in she starts like new money.

He's machinist (hes old school and he knows his stuff) he has about 100 of these ring gears cut and ready to ship once he gets your check.
His name is Al he he lives in Wisconsin, so please check the time there before calling.

Dont waste your time hunting the web, you wont find it.

This is a TOP QUALITY ring gear made with proper steel and heat treated, it will probably last longer than you do.
Made in the USA.
He deals with all ring gears as well.
Have I convinced you?

Al
please tell him Jerry and Todd said thank you.
Thanks Bull, he said he had just what l needed. It's a lot higher priced than the ones people show, but don't have. At this point l can't be complaining about price, I'm just glad to finally find one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.