Vintage Mustang Forums banner

power steering ram

795 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  maxx424 
#1 ·
Son called and said he heard a bang and the power steering started acting up. Put it up on ramps and found that the inside washer had deformed and let the ram through it. Freak deal or did I do something wrong?

#3 ·
Are you sure it was the correct washer- someone maybe swapped it out before you or something? I'm with Husky- that's the way Ford designed it, and all of Ford's designed have worked flawlessly...lol.
Yup- freak deal me thinks...

#5 ·
Unusual. Still, if the car was not moving, and you have larger than stock tires (6.95-14) you can bring all of the potential 800 psi to bear on that small washer. As a habit, I try to avoid turning the steering wheel unless the car is moving slightly. And never hold the wheel against the stops, that guarantees the 800 psi will come to full power to try to deform the linkage, and is the most likely time something will deform, or a hose or seal will blow.

#6 ·
I had this happen to me, or rather, my wife. I think was ultimately a result of the drag link not adjusted so as to be centered and the turning radius was greater on one side than the other. She had problems turning into a parking space and I thing the excessive strain trying to turn the wheel forced the ram through the washer. Thankfully, I happened to have had another washer and was able to repair it immediately. Since then, I have centered the drag link and this has corrected the turning radius problems. I have had not problems since then.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info on the drag link. I'll check that out. waiting on the parts but it is raining for the next number of days and with no garage it is sitting on ramps in the rain. Wonder if two washers on the inside would be worth doing?? Thoughts?

#8 ·
I've heard several stories of this happening with newer repro. units. The unit I bought from a very reputable outfit had a washer that was wimpy and the hole was larger than it needed to be. I could see this easily happening with that washer so I got a good solid washer with proper diameter hole and then doubled it up.

#9 · (Edited)
They (Ford Parts & Service) changed that washer design at least once.
The original setup in the blue/gray paper envelope packaging sported
these really thick washers that were a gray matte color and really hefty
in thickness. Much thicker than 1/8"............ maybe 3/16."
Basically a really thick concave washer, one with a slightly smaller ID.
The later ones in the "ghosted GT40" packaging were way wimpier.
(Shiny and a cupped design)
I think the later kit was c6oz-3c590-a.
The earlier kit was long before that '66 part number.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#11 ·
My question is do you want to risk this happening again and maybe this time, during a spirited turn or something similar? I had the ram drop bracket broke during a slow turn and I was barely able to turn once it broke. It's not like going from a power assist to a manual steering. You still have to fight the fluids in the system.

If you don't feel you can properly fix the ram, maybe send it out or buy a new one.
Just my 2¢

#13 ·
OK the replacement kit came and the washers are at least twice as thick as the ones that came when we replaced the ram (had a extended bracket to clear the headers he once had and it sheared off taking the end of the ram off as well). Kit came with one steel inner sleeve. I assume I just crank on it until the washers hit the spacer? It is a Drake kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.