Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Steering wheel recommendation?

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Black68coupe 
#1 ·
So I have been trying to keep the interior stock looking but now that i am looking at some speedhut gauges (6 pack one) I might as well look at other steering wheel options, currently i have the stock 15 inch and its massive. Is there a better options out there? Maybe get a little more leg room or better option?

Would also love to see some pictures of what you have or recommend

#6 ·
I think grants tend to look like cheap pressed metal with sharp edges. My friend had one back in the day and we called it "the chopper", because it hurt. If your fingers were in the way when it returned to center, watch out.

LeCarra is a timeless classic, and looks substantial, but pricey.

One option I've been considering because I like the look and it's quite affordable is this one:

14" Muscle - Polished - Forever Sharp Steering Wheels

They're all over ebay and swap meets right now, the price is right, and I handled one in person and it felt much nicer than the price would indicate. Available in wood, different colors of vinyl and different finishes (chrome, black, etc). The only potential downside is that it's a billet/half wrap, so the back side of the wheel is shiny metal. I don't have a problem with that look, but Texas summers may be tough.

Edit: It's also available with a pretty nice looking Mustang pony horn button.

#7 ·
The only wheels I seem to like are very expensive. With manual steering it's better to have a larger steering wheel with a thick rim. Personally I like 15". I wouldn't go smaller. I'm 6'too. It's not a recommendation, it's just what I like. I still have the stock until I have money for something like a LeCarra.

#8 ·
I can't blame you there. I still have the stocker, and I've been eyeballing the LeCarra for years. It's only in the last few months that I've found this other one, and it's become a more pressing matter now that I have taller seats. Not much room in there anymore, and I'm 6'3".

I added a leather steering wheel wrap to it years ago that added some girth and a little higher production value. That's helped keep it a viable option while I pined for the LeCarra I could never raise the cash for.

#10 ·
#22 ·
Did you use the GT Performance hub?

#18 ·
Not everyone's cup of tea but, I went with a 14" wood grain with black stripe, black spokes and billet FORD button from Forever Sharp. Didn't like their mustang horn button at all.
Everything went in easily and horn works great.

#23 ·
Happy with my Grant. It is leather wrapped and does not suffer from the spring/horn issues of some of the less expensive wheels or older wheels. This one has the horn switch in a self contained push button housing.

#24 ·
I have a Momo, but just about any of the offerings from LeCarra, MotoLita, and others are all good, it's just your personal preference. One thing I would caution you is to not use a wheel with the dreaded Grant 3 bolt mounting. Most all quality wheels use a 6 or 9 bolt mounting. Grant does make a wheel with a 6 bolt mounting, and it can be used with a Momo mount kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.