Best trunk liners sound deadening material - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Best trunk liners sound deadening material

When we bought our 69 the trunk had nothing original left in it just a piece of plywood over the new gas tank. I've looked all over the web at different replacement pieces I would like to end up with either vinyl or rug with a good sound deadening material especially on the rear seat. Anyone have some good advice on which components I need and your experience with different brands?

I'm leaning towards the full trunk kit by ACC with an extra thick sound deadening piece on the rear seat.

69 2 dr Coupe 351W FMX Comp Cams Roller Holley Street Avenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:17 PM

If you don't mind an aftermarket/custom look, I think a trunk carpet kit would work very nicely to quiet things down and look spiffy to boot. And, of course, any sound deadening material can't hurt. Now the question is which sound deadening material?

Whenever someone asks about that, people recommend everything from Peel-N-Seal from Home Depot to genuine Dynamat and everything in-between. Wish I had an answer since I'll soon be needing some for my project.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 PM

I used some of that foam board builders use on new construction sheathing. Used it under carpet....used a sheet between the rear seat and trunk divider. Seal EVERY little hole between trunk and cabin. Sprayed a couple coats of bedliner stuff/undercoating over entire trunk area.
6sally6

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Best trunk liners sound deadening material

I've used dynamat and similar asphalt type products in the past and never got the results I'd hoped for considering all the weight it added. The stuff SUCKS to take off also. Many of the serious stereo guys I've seen have started using a closed cell foam in conjunction with the asphalt type matting material (dynamat):

It's thick foam with a sticky backing. I haven't used it yet but I'm planning on trying it in my trunk under a carpet kit similar to what you are wanting. Amazon also sells hood insulation kits that are basically a giant square of 3/4" insulation for under your hood. I may buy a giant square of that and trim it for the bottom side of the deck lid and use the rest to line the inside of the 1/4 panels etc underneath the carpet kit. I haven't done it yet but that's my plan anyways.

Last edited by Riley; 01-02-2017 at 07:32 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
I've used dynamat and similar asphalt type products in the past and never got the results I'd hoped for considering all the weight it added. The stuff SUCKS to take off also. Many of the serious stereo guys I've seen have started using a closed cell foam in conjunction with the asphalt type matting material (dynamat):

It's thick foam with a sticky backing. I haven't used it yet but I'm planning on trying it in my trunk under a carpet kit similar to what you are wanting. Amazon also sells hood insulation kits that are basically a giant square of 3/4" insulation for under your hood. I may buy a giant square of that and trim it for the bottom side of the deck lid and use the rest to line the inside of the 1/4 panels etc underneath the carpet kit. I haven't done it yet but that's my plan anyways.

Here's a pic of an example of the hood insulation this particular one is $90:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies I'll probably go with the Noico 157 mil already had it in my wish list on Amazon. It looks like a good one to fill some of gaps and mold into place with some strength.

Still can't make up my mind on carpet or vinyl the carpet I'm leaning towards is ACC kit in black cutpile.

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/196...Flooring/1764/

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:56 AM

I ordered more Noico for my roof a few days ago. There is a guy on Ebay who sells it for about $20 cheaper.

It still is a good idea to line whatever you are doing with some dynamat, fatmat, peel n stick or whichever first. Then lay the Noico over it. I personally use the peel n stick. Fatmat would be my second choice. You do not need complete coverage for the peel n stick. Just enough to dampen the vibrations. The Noico will do all the work.

Back in the day when I installed car stereo's for cash in High School we used to use egg crate foam.

You might try Mustangs To Fear for a trunk kit. I am not sure if they have one for a 69. More expensive but nicer.
http://www.mustangstofear.com/page.p...=trunk_package

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. Oz 250 Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 260/270 cam, Headers, DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

Last edited by 65coupei6_2; 01-02-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:03 AM

I have a question about insulating the hood and trunk lid.

What is the benefit? How does that translate to a quieter and better temp controlled cabin?

There has to be a benefit cause all the late model cars come with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 AM

Get the metal divider for behind the rear seat. Put sound deadening it. Makes sound/smell proofing the cab from the trunk alot easier. I know it's available for the 67-68 not sure about 69.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldog View Post
Get the metal divider for behind the rear seat. Put sound deadening it. Makes sound/smell proofing the cab from the trunk alot easier. I know it's available for the 67-68 not sure about 69.
Good tip I already was planning on using the metal panel behind the seat they do make one for a 69 it's required for NHRA doubt I'll run the car except at a test & tune just to see how it runs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page