Clutch recommendation for near stock 289 - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Clutch recommendation for near stock 289

My 289 with T5 chatters when i pull off under high RPM and is very heavy, so i'm looking to put a stock clutch back in. The existing clutch is an aftermarket zoom one with added spring pressure. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to purchase without breaking the bank. Dont forget this is a stock motor with an RPM intake and 600 holley, not a race car, i just want something lighter without the chatter that doesn't break the bank.
Mike

Dodge Dart GTS, 440ci, RPM heads, .590 cam, NA
1.41 60FT, 6.43 at 106 mph, 10.16 at 131.62 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 AM

All you need is a stock clutch. Most of the manufacturers will make a stock replacement. Ask you local parts supplier which is best. I've used Ford Motorsport clutches successfully. But I would go to a NAPA or such and see which they say is their best.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM

My car had a Zoom clutch in it when I bought it, and man that thing sucked bad. I went to a Centerforce DF, but there's no need to for you to spend the money on one. As mentioned above, and good stock replacement should be fine.
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Looks like zoom is making a bad name for diaphram pressure
plates again.....
I'm betting the clutch facing (friction) material leaves much to
be desired on your zoom clutch.
Personally, I wouldn't go back to a 3-finger design, regardless
of what came on these cars originally.
I'd probably use a Centerforce 1 on it. It's basically an aftermarket
replacement clutch with better materials and construction.

Centerforce Performance Clutch | Manufacturer of Racing, Street, and Off-Road Clutches
zray likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM

On my current GT40P I'm using a FMS King Cobra clutch kit. Even with roller bearing clutch pedal and rod end linkage it's kind of heavy. The old motor had a Rockauto close out special diaphragm that I was quite happy with. Stick to a stock replacement and you'll be happy. Make sure all the linkage is in good shape as well as motor and transmission mounts.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Qualitiee lakes a nice diaphragm unit. Try NAPA.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM

A great time to up date all the moving joints on clutch linkage with heim joints. REALLY makes a huge difference and not much money. Clean and re-grease the Z-bar connections WYAIT.
Make sure you put the new clutch facing the right direction. Really a pain to have to go back and re-do the job.
(Don't ask how I know this)
6sally6
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
"...I'd probably use a Centerforce 1 on it. It's basically an aftermarket
replacement clutch with better materials and construction.

Centerforce Performance Clutch | Manufacturer of Racing, Street, and Off-Road Clutches

^^^^^^ The basic, and affordable, Centerforce 1 is really all you need. All things being equal in the linkage, it will be a tad lighter to operate than the stock clutch. And it will handle much more power than people give it credit for.

Z

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

The flywheel has got hairline cracks in it and a bit of bluing, so i suppose that needs changing as well.
The Z bar looks like it needs some sort of bushes, the existing clutch is a diaphragm clutch, also the pressure plate has some discolouration.
It looks like the centerforce kit is over 500 dollars, i was looking ideally at more like 300-350 dollars for a kit and then whatever the flywheel costs.
Mick

Dodge Dart GTS, 440ci, RPM heads, .590 cam, NA
1.41 60FT, 6.43 at 106 mph, 10.16 at 131.62 mph

Last edited by deaks; 01-12-2017 at 07:22 PM.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaks View Post
The flywheel has got hairline cracks in it and a bit of bluing, so i suppose that needs changing as wel..."
No supposing. It's really at the dangerous stage. I know a guy who lost a foot from an exploding clutch. It sliced his foot off above the angle. It happens more than you think.

I know you don't want to spend too much, but take your time to get it right. Otherwise it's going to cost you more. I've had plenty of projects that took 2 years instead of one year because I had to wait for the $$$ to show up.

Z
Huskinhano and MWM like this.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 PM

NPD premium clutch package. Put one in my 260 65, smoothest clutch I have ever had. Good price too.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 PM

I'm using an AutoZone Diaphragm kit.It works
Huskinhano likes this.

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
No supposing. It's really at the dangerous stage. I know a guy who lost a foot from an exploding clutch. It sliced his foot off above the angle. It happens more than you think.

I know you don't want to spend too much, but take your time to get it right. Otherwise it's going to cost you more. I've had plenty of projects that took 2 years instead of one year because I had to wait for the $$$ to show up.

Z
This past summer I put a GT40P into my 66. I had a stock 5.0 flywheel in my barn. One look at it and it went to the scrap pile. It had numerous heat checking cracks along with it being blue in a couple spots. I bought a billet PRW wheel that is SFI rated. PRW claims that most of the engine builders in the Engine Master series use PRW flywheels. Steve Dulchic who is the editor of their magazine hangs out on another forum I hang out on. I asked him if it was true. He said yes, almost everyone uses PRW and he said he's never heard of a problem or complaint from the contestants. He told me he wouldn't hesitate to use one. The point being for about the cost of a decent set of work boots over the cost of a generic cast iron no name stock replacement, my feet are worth the cost of a set of good work boots! The other added bonus is it uses a bolt on weight so you're not married to one engine unbalance and it's drilled for every sbf PP bolt pattern, even the metric 5.0 with dowels. It wasn't that expensive, $230 to my door. I have no regrets for the piece of mind.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:18 PM

LUK brand

supershifter2 < !
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
LUK brand
Yep..........NAPA sell'em.
Ebay guy(forget his name) sells steel flywheels at a super price.
6sally6
PS........Think about an ALUM. flywheel while your in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page