Blue Thunder 2X4 Intake Experience? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Blue Thunder 2X4 Intake Experience?

Anyone here have any experience with the Blue Thunder 2X4 intake manifold? I have access to one, and a couple of Holley 390 carbs to give it a go. From reading various posts online here and other places, there is the possibility of running lean on some cylinders while just using one carb as the primary, and having the second carb kick in later on. Is it better to go 1:1 on the linkage with the Blue Thunder intake to ensure better fuel distribution to the cylinders, or just using the rear carb as the primary while cruising? This is for a 289.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:12 PM

if you don't go with some sort of progressive linkage it's very difficult to have any decent throttle response, i.e. prone to bogging.

Have you read any comments about that ?

Z

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've read about bogging when putting too much carb. My main concern is about some cylinders running lean due to uneven fuel distribution.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:48 PM

I run the Blue Thunder dual Quad intake on my 302. Linkage is set up 1 to 1. Highly modified carbs matched up by Nickerson to stage 5. I also ported the intake and it flows more than a mildly ported VrJr. Stock they flow about the same as a Performer RPM. It is much better material and casting than a edelbrock. According to Nicerson the carbs now flow 520 CFM each total of 1040 CFM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2256b View Post
I run the Blue Thunder dual Quad intake on my 302. Linkage is set up 1 to 1. Highly modified carbs matched up by Nickerson to stage 5. I also ported the intake and it flows more than a mildly ported VrJr. Stock they flow about the same as a Performer RPM. It is much better material and casting than a edelbrock. According to Nicerson the carbs now flow 520 CFM each total of 1040 CFM.
I've read that the ports on the Blue Thunder are a bit on the small side and some work needs to open them up a bit, so that's not too much of an issue. I am more concerned about the linkage and how it's hooked up, and you've answered that question. By any chance do you have any pics available of your setup?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM

No pics at the moment as i just went to windows 10. The picture set up on this is a bitch. Cant seem to put the picks in different folders like the older versions like windows 7.
Can get some new pics tomorrow as I dont want to load my memory stick with about 2000 pics into one folder.
Understand it took me 2 weeks 6 to 8 hrs a night and a lot of time on a flow bench to get 215 cfm per port bolted to my ported DOOE heads. The slightly ported VrJr only got 180 bad port 190 good port. Stock the intake is improved over the Ford factory unit.

Some issues with plug readings different have to do with cooling issues and can happen with most any intake.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:24 PM

As turbo2256b mentions, the successful carbs are those that have been extensively modified.

It's unrealistic to thank you can put on two stock carburetors and have the same results. A 1:1 linkage doesn't allow for for any imperfections, a progressive linkage does allow for the carbs not being perfectly tuned to the intake and engine. Most builds fall into the "not perfect" catagory. Just sayin'.

Z

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM

The linkage set up is a couple aluminum turn buckles from the local hard wear store a bit of stainless steel threaded rod. The ends are spherical rod ends. One end left hand the other right hand. The center threaded rod is RH thread. The turn buckles have to be one thread size smaller than the rod ends as they have to be drilled and tapped for the LH and the RH threads.
The ends have the ability to have a bit of play to very tight allowing almost 100% 1 to 1 but can be adjusted so the front or rear primary's can start to open first partly depending on which carb the throttle cable is attached to.

This set up also has cruse control and TV cable for the AOD.

The last pic I am pointing to a secondary throttle adjustment. Once I SET THE PRIMARY THROTTLE BLADE TO IDLE TRANSFER SLOT properly I use this to set idle speed without having to remove the carb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001 (2).jpg (98.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 (2).jpg (96.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 (3).jpg (94.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-22-2017 at 01:39 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Why not just use OEM-style linkage?

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Why not just use OEM-style linkage?

In my case with an AOD TRANS, cruse control and throttle with matched carbs this was possibly easier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page