Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Upgrading sound system

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Makedust 
#1 ·
In my 67 coupe I am looking to upgrade the sound system. It has a JVC stereo nw. Not very Good........speakers are very tinny.
Thinking of the 300W Custom Autoslide slidebar stereo uprade, new radio bezel and two new 6x9 speakers in back deck and new antennae. Any thoughts? Comments on the stereo.........suggestions for new back deck speakers?
Always appreciate any suggestions.

:laugh:

#2 · (Edited)
JVC is a brand name, like Sony for example...means nothing! IIRC there was a JVC unit that would fit the original bezel. Kinda crummy unit! Sorry for the pun but sounds like you're comparing an unspecified stew meat to tenderloin!

For example you say 2 6x9 speakers in the back deck. Two different speakers each "rated" 300W can be different as nite and day, plus how they are installed.

Lots of discussion/threads here on Mustang sound systems added. Hang in there.

Slim

#4 ·
If this were 1982 I'd suggest a pioneer with cassette, 300 w amp, equalizer, or a power booster, and 6 x 9's,.....

I was rocking. :grin2:

#7 ·
In 1982 I was rockin' w/Jensen tri axles and an equalizer. Must have been cranking out about 12 watts !
Ah, the good old days...
DannyG
("The windshield wipers slappin' out a tempo...")

Reactions: Israel
#9 ·
And is why I'm in the middle of a total drive-train upgrade! :wink:

#10 ·
What are you using for audio? An iPhone, android...? I will say from experience that pioneer work very well with Idevices. I plug my iPad into it and it plays immediately. Other brands not so much. Take you media player of choice and a cable to an audio store, test them.
I have Rockford fosgate dpeakers and they sound great!

#12 ·
I for one don't like the Custom Autosound, I have one in my 66 Coupe and it randomly drops one of the speakers, usually the left front. Also the volume doesn't always work correctly. I'm thinking of pulling it whenever I get around to the rewiring project and putting in the Retrosound unit.

---
JeffH

#14 ·
Oh and in case you want a stock look, but newer radio, hide it in the glovebox or trunk.

#15 ·
I put a radio in the glove box with Blue tooth, got kick panels with speakers in them, upgraded the dash speaker and rear deck 6x9's. To round out the system I am now thinking of one of the Bazooka tubes, I dont want to have some big box in the trunk. A small 8" or 10" Bazooka tube in the trunk will fit nicely and make good sound. Dont forget to upgrade your alternator, 100 amp here with optimum top battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.