Front Suspension Support Tool? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

18Likes

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmarker View Post
I read the article and found it clearly explains why my right front shock looks like the one in the pictures below.)
I'm noticing the bushing split on the top of one side, but the bottom of the other. I would take that as some credible evidence too.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Archer, S5 E7: "Don't you have a tractor pull to go headline?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Garage
25 years of classic Mustang ownership and I've never once heard of this kind of thing. Crazy
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I read the article and found it clearly explains why my right front shock looks like the one in the pictures below.)
Going to ask, what shock brand are they? As well as the original pic from the article? I don't think I've ever seen a front Mustang shock with an upper dust shield. They have always been a shock with the chrome shaft on the upper end. Perhaps a more "universal" part that isn't quite correct....

69 Mach One, 428CJ, Legend 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:20 PM

From the 69 Manual. I too have never heard of or seen this particular tool. So it seems you are supposed to make your own ? Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tools-69 Upper Arm Support.jpg (97.3 KB, 14 views)

post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
25 years of classic Mustang ownership and I've never once heard of this kind of thing. Crazy
I can't match your (or some others here) experience, but I have spent countless hours in the past eight or so years trying to learn all I can about these cars. I already said I've never heard of this either but there it is, and Bob Perkins is someone who would know (even if you discount Heasley). We have now learned others here were aware of it too.

post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:23 PM

It seems to me that the real benefit of that tool would be where you are removing the ball joints, spindle, or lower control arm, and want to avoid the additional time/labor of compressing/removing the coil spring above the upper control arm.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA has moved on to its next caretaker*
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
Why would you be driving your Mustang at night in a bad neighborhood to start with?. LOL
Well if you're me...

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conway View Post
From the 69 Manual. I too have never heard of or seen this particular tool. So it seems you are supposed to make your own ? Brian
I'm not convinced one way or the other just yet. Bart suggests a block of wood (like my brain for example), but if I decide to follow the factory advisement I'll probably get my welder out. Steel I have on the shelf.

post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
No. Your shock looks like that because it's too old. Old rubber gets hard and dies. It has nothing to do with wheel hang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
I'm saying I didn't see that picture in the post. However, look at that shock, that rubber looks pretty old as well as the shock body. I would have said it was already on it's way out rather than blame the suspension drop. That and the crappier materials stuff seems to made of nowadays.
^^^^^^ yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
It seems to me that the real benefit of that tool would be where you are removing the ball joints, spindle, or lower control arm, and want to avoid the additional time/labor of compressing/removing the coil spring above the upper control arm.
Like others, I use the wood block method when I'm removing the shock, ( for those times when I haven't already removed the shock the sensible way; i.e. when the wheels are on the ground & the weight of the car keeps it from extending all the way). A block of wood under UCA does a nice job of keeping the wheel droop from extending the shock all the way. Like GT289 pointed out some time ago, the shock, if it has stock dimensions, will extend fully and limit the wheels from hanging low enough to cause any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
Why would you be driving your Mustang at night in a bad neighborhood to start with?. LOL
Because I live in the "bad neighborhood", homie.

Z

Last edited by zray; 02-12-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
Like GT289 pointed out some time ago, the shock, if it has stock dimensions, will extend fully and limit the wheels from hanging low enough to cause any damage.
But you see Z, that's just it. When the shock is extended to its limit the spring just keeps on with great pressure. Guess where that pressure will be focused most? That's right, on the weakest point possible, the top of the frickin' shock's bushing (along with the strut bushings, reportedly too). From the article; "....with multiple unsupported lifts, the damage grows worse."
Even as dumb as I am this makes fair sense to me.

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
I'm not convinced one way or the other just yet. Bart suggests a block of wood (like my brain for example), but if I decide to follow the factory advisement I'll probably get my welder out. Steel I have on the shelf.
I'm just finishing some front end work and I think I'm now a believer in the suspension tool if it's going to be in the air for any length of time.

The pic of the old shock below looks like the one from 4ocious. Not sure if that's "normal" but I know this car has spent a lot of time on stands through the years.

The other two shots are of the new Bilstein shocks I just installed. The car is on stands and I used a jack to take the weight off the right side shock. The left is hanging.

You can see the obvious rubber bushing distortion on the left side.

If nothing else, it may just protect my shock investment a little longer!?!?

And the
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.jpg (96.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.jpg (86.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (92.5 KB, 25 views)
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
No need for a welder....this works just as well.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
No need for a welder....this works just as well.

Well, that's a wrenching turn of events.

Last edited by 4ocious; 02-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM

No doubt in my mind, the pressure of the spring pushing opposite of the top of the shock is pretty darn great. But, I tend to think how many lifting cycles, without the the wheels being supported, would it take for the damage to take it's toll and be seen? I'm quite sure the front shocks have been rotated out any number of times, thus, would mask any impending damage by virtue of being replaced. I never once thought about the shock's top being pulled apart.
In my life time of mustang ownership, (since 1967) except for when I had an alignment, it has always been lifted using a contact style lift.

Now, when I was working on specifics of either side, I did use a tool, such as FORD recommended to trap the "A"arm.
But, maybe we all should these days since the quality of any of our parts has declined with the movement to off shore.
This is how I see it......

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red too!, Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, MD
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:04 PM

There's isn't much force left in the spring at the point where the shock is all the way extended. Sorry, the shock bushings aren't going to give out until they are old and hard. It has nothing to do with the suspension hanging down.

The article you have faith in is just so much BS. The conclusions they arrive at are only supported by focusing on a narrow issue, while ignoring the effects of age on the shock bushings, that's not acceptable science methodology. Any undergrad science major could pick apart the article's reasoning. You can't just pick and choose some forces at work on the shock bushings, and ignore other major causality. That's not scientific reasoning, it's entertainment.

There have been several postings on this topic, combined that relate years of letting the wheels hang down, without any issues with the shock bushings. That alone should alert you to the fact that there are more valid reasons for bushing failure than "wheel hang".

Z
Woodchuck likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page