Cam indecision - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

3Likes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 AM

Rocket Star......contact Delta Cams THERE in Tacoma. Talk with Ken and tell him the details and what you want the cam to do...sound like....expectations. They treated me VERY well and their price was equal(or less) than Comp and the other "big-boy" cam companies.
Not sure why you can't run a FT cam and use those springs?!!?
I lik'em snotty-ier than most guys but the low and mid-range "kick" is very satisfying.
Vizard suggest when running heads with 1.90's intakes to go with a 108* LSA....2.02 110*LSA works better. 230-ish*/236-ish@050 with LSA of 108*won't be real snotty but have a nice lick to it. With the T-5 and 3.55:1 gears you could actually go a little bigger duration and/or a little tighter LSA(106/107*) That tight and vacuum will suff. especially if you have power brakes.
I know these guys get tired of me praising Delta but they are great bunch of guys(Ken-Scott) and grind a lot of cams for NW racers. They have lifters and all you will need.
Tell them Mike sent you and ask for a free T-shirt (8
6sally6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 AM

I went with the XE266HR in my 302 roller build with the newer AFR 265 Renegades. IMO Roller cams have too many benefits to even consider a flat tappet in this day and age. My intended use was essentially same as you explained. It goes to drag strip a couple times a year but I built it primarily for enjoying on the street and taking cross country (thus the T5Z w/3.40s). I'll take it to about 5,700 + and it feels great, sounds great, runs great. The idle is just right for me and sounds on the louder/more aggressive side of the spectrum (yet in a streetable muscle car vs. the more uppity drag car vibe). The 2.5" exhaust and JBA headers & mufflers have a lot to do with that sound as well. Very happy with the package which I'll mention outperformed my buddies '68 Firebird with a 400 that he put a decent build on. I thought not too shabby for a 100 CUI disadvantage - course only fair to factor the '68 Fastback is a much lighter car.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBear View Post
I went with the XE266HR in my 302 roller build with the newer AFR 265 Renegades. IMO Roller cams have too many benefits to even consider a flat tappet in this day and age. My intended use was essentially same as you explained. It goes to drag strip a couple times a year but I built it primarily for enjoying on the street and taking cross country (thus the T5Z w/3.40s). I'll take it to about 5,700 + and it feels great, sounds great, runs great. The idle is just right for me and sounds on the louder/more aggressive side of the spectrum (yet in a streetable muscle car vs. the more uppity drag car vibe). The 2.5" exhaust and JBA headers & mufflers have a lot to do with that sound as well. Very happy with the package which I'll mention outperformed my buddies '68 Firebird with a 400 that he put a decent build on. I thought not too shabby for a 100 CUI disadvantage - course only fair to factor the '68 Fastback is a much lighter car.
Just curious, what does do in the 1/4 when you take it to the track?

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
I have the XE274HR in in my 347 and wish I went bigger..... it is most definitely not too big- no way would I go smaller.

Most people tend to say more torque down low is better, etc, I prefer a higher RPM motor with more power up top, I love winding it out. My feeling is that these cars are so light that I will gladly give up some low RPM torque for power in the upper RPMs. Also since these mustangs are generally tire/traction limited, low end torque does you now good when your tires are spinning.

ET: 12.7@109 mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM

I had a 347 in a '66 coupe that I raced a couple of Fun Ford Street Stang class ( 12.50 heads up) events out here in the west and won. Ford X heads , B303 cam, headers, Cobra dual plane , 715 holley , C4 with stock converter, 4.30 gear 275 drag radial. Through the mufflers it ran 12.5's at 110 all day long. With the stock converter it was not good at idling in gear. For a true 'cruiser" I like the factory HO cam and 1.7 rockers. I will sound good and melt tires at will. Who cares if it goes 110 in the 1/4? That's why I have a race car.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 43 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
There is no way I would remove the valve springs that come stock on the new AFR renegade heads so I could run a flat tappet cam. You are better off using the link bar lifters and run a hydraulic roller cam. For OTS cams my choice is Anderson. The B-31 may be a good choice for you even though it is listed as a blower cam it will work great naturally aspirated with a carb. I run the b-41 in my driver with my budget 331 N/A that dynoed 435HP and 415TQ Idles well with great runability and rips high 11's in the 1/4mile. This would be my choice on link bar lifters
Morel Hydraulic Roller Link Bar Lifters
This
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6 View Post
Rocket Star......contact Delta Cams THERE in Tacoma. Talk with Ken and tell him the details and what you want the cam to do...sound like....expectations. They treated me VERY well and their price was equal(or less) than Comp and the other "big-boy" cam companies.
Not sure why you can't run a FT cam and use those springs?!!?
I lik'em snotty-ier than most guys but the low and mid-range "kick" is very satisfying.
Vizard suggest when running heads with 1.90's intakes to go with a 108* LSA....2.02 110*LSA works better. 230-ish*/236-ish@050 with LSA of 108*won't be real snotty but have a nice lick to it. With the T-5 and 3.55:1 gears you could actually go a little bigger duration and/or a little tighter LSA(106/107*) That tight and vacuum will suff. especially if you have power brakes.
I know these guys get tired of me praising Delta but they are great bunch of guys(Ken-Scott) and grind a lot of cams for NW racers. They have lifters and all you will need.
Tell them Mike sent you and ask for a free T-shirt (8
6sally6
Wow. I looked up Delta Camshaft and it I know right where it is--I drive by there all the time and never noticed the sign! Who knew they were grinding camshafts in there? I will definitely check them out!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:33 AM

COOL!!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Just curious, what does do in the 1/4 when you take it to the track?
Good question. So far my wife is the only one who has raced it at the strip which is at 5,550 ft. above sea level. It's just got the BFG TAs so she's not launching it by any means. She shifts by ear and noticed she'll leave some RPM on the table yet does a darn good job for someone who doesn't watch the RPM gauge. She's been clocking upper 13s and sure was fun to watch her beat a new Mustang Ecoboost. I race another old car when we go but thinkin I should be able to squeeze a couple 10ths more out of it since I've raced at the strip much more than her. I'd estimate it's a high 12 second car at sea level on the street tires. Primarily built to cruise, run cool and reliably and take on long trips and get decent mpgs.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBear View Post
Good question. So far my wife is the only one who has raced it at the strip which is at 5,550 ft. above sea level. It's just got the BFG TAs so she's not launching it by any means. She shifts by ear and noticed she'll leave some RPM on the table yet does a darn good job for someone who doesn't watch the RPM gauge. She's been clocking upper 13s and sure was fun to watch her beat a new Mustang Ecoboost. I race another old car when we go but thinkin I should be able to squeeze a couple 10ths more out of it since I've raced at the strip much more than her. I'd estimate it's a high 12 second car at sea level on the street tires. Primarily built to cruise, run cool and reliably and take on long trips and get decent mpgs.

Thanks. I'm putting in a vert which will likely never see a track, so that sounds about perfect.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketStar View Post
I have read a billion different “help me pick a cam” posts on a million different forums, and yet I find myself posting yet another “help me pick a cam” post of my own. Please bear with me—here we go.
Custom. I had a good experience with Ed at FTI.....several others out there too.

Please Visit Our '93 Mustang Drag Car's Website
http://www.rebelracing.8k.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page