Vintage Mustang Forums banner

First 50mph drive - a few issues..

418 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chaplin 
#1 ·
Took her out to about 50mph, engine is strong and the car feels....ok...
I need to adjust the brake bias so it stops a bit harder. Does anyone know how to best start on the adjustable proportioning valves? I have front 03 cobra discs, rear stock drums, power setup, 1" bore mc. Should I fully open or close the valve to start?

Second, my car is experiencing major bump steer... granted I haven't aligned it professionally yet.. I used my magnetic bubble gauge to set it. I saw after the drive that it's toed out on both sides... need to pull the tie rods in to hopefully improve the feel. The suspension finally settled after getting it on the road.

It does have a camber problem. It has the same amount of shims it had stock but, it has the Shelby drop, 480lb 1" drop springs, everything new on suspension. Is there a way to help correct the camber besides a butt load of shims?

The other issues I found were a late activating brake switch. But I need to add another(larger) shim on the switch to activate sooner.
I still hate the stock shifter... may need to get a lokar shifter in the future.

Oh well, rant over.. any help on the camber and prop valve is appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Others will probably have a better method, but what I did for my proportioning valve was found the middle. I started at one extreme, it doesn't matter which, then turned it until I hit the other extreme. I counted my turns in between and then set the valve right in the middle of the two. I then biased it a bit towards the front brakes and that got me close enough to be able to make smaller and finer adjustments until the car stopped on a dime. Like I said, others will probably have a better way, but this worked out pretty well for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.