Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Diff spins, rear wheels do not

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  22GT 
#1 ·
Hi, I have something I want to check and see if I have an issue here or not. I have a 65 Coupe, 289 4v, C4 trans with an open 2.73 rear end. I am restoring it and the motor and trans are out of the car. I have the body up on a lift detailing the undercarriage, replacing brakes and lines, etc. While doing the rears tonight I spun the right rear axle to listen for any odd noises or grinding and I notice the input on the diff was not spinning (the dive shaft is out of the car as well). I then spun the diff and the axles whould spin a little if any. I was expecting both to spin by either spinning the axle or the diff. The car was running and driving before being disassembled only a month or so ago. Has something happened to my rear end or is this normal in this configuratoin? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure the other wheel would spin in the opposite direction. It sort of startled me that the drive shaft yoke wasn't spinning. And then when I would spin the drive shaft yoke, the wheels weren't spinning... or at least they would not spin as much. They would start and stop. Rear diffs have always been a bit of voodoo to me. I'm hoping this is all normal to an open diff. Thanks for your help Pony!

#6 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry for the mini heart attack. I don't know that I've ever had a car in that configuration - on a lift, hubs off the axles, drive train out... and then started spinning things. I guess in my simple mind I thought, hey I'm turning this... that should turn in kind.

I haven't introduced myself properly but I'm new to the forum, but not to Mustangs. My first car was a '71 fastback back in 1985. And I've had too many to count since then. The one I'm redoing now is a 64.5 coupe, factory a/c car described above. Wimbledon white. I'm the second owner and the original, pristine bill of sale was in the dash when I bought it.

I also have a medium blue 70 Mach 1, m-code shaker 4 speed that is in line to be finished after the little coupe. Also second owner on it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting stangs with you guys and posting a few picks of mine as I go. And there may be an occasional question or two along the way. Thanks again gents. Much obliged! ~Rick

#8 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry for the mini heart attack. I don't know that I've ever had a car in that configuration - on a lift, hubs off the axles, drive train out... and then started spinning things. I guess in my simple mind I thought, hey I'm turning this... that should turn in kind.
With a conventional axle, the wheels and driveshaft off, and spin one axle, you could have the other axle spin, or the pinion yoke, or both. With limited slip, both axles AND the pinion yoke would spin.

The 65-66 6 cylinder were available with limited slip, but it is very rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.