Side mirror- huge mistake - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

10Likes

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my289 View Post
Looks like you can use the back hole for the front of your mirror and only need to drill one hole and fill one hole, if you know what mean. But i hear you about painting a car and realizing I should have done so and so before and now its too late. I guess next time I paint it which probably won't be for along time if ever.
I might try that.. see if I can plug the hole with something for now until I feel like wasting money and re painting that door.

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
Finally completed- working on last bugs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66/93project View Post
Well, my car is just about complete.. doing final details... I planned on only adding the driver mirror since passenger wasn't drilled for it.
I installed the mirror not realizing HOW FAR FORWARD it sits! My god I wish I was more familiar with vintage mustangs when I bought this car! I would've had the existing screw holes welded up so I could place the mirror where it should be.. as of now, it's at the front of the vent window.. where it serves NO purpose because I have to peek through the vent window to see the mirror.

Now I can't really cover up the holes without have to paint the door again...

Sorry for the rant.. just frustrated as this car has been giving me hell since day one. She really didn't wanna come back from the dead.
Passenger side mirrors were extremely rare in the 60's. Heck, LEFT mirrors were optional on many cars.

You can't blame the car for this one. It was in the wrong place to begin with, blame a prior owner, and not checking.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

Last edited by 22GT; 03-01-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conway View Post
The vent window on my 65. Just for a visual on location. Sure you have the correct mirror ? Brian
Hate to say this, but yours is in the wrong place, too. When you open the vent window, it hits the mirror, right?

Here is where it's supposed to be:

rpm and Caper50 like this.

Last edited by 22GT; 03-01-2017 at 06:52 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Passenger side mirrors were extremely rare in the 60's. Heck, LEFT mirrors were optional on many cars.

You can't blame the car for this one. It was in the wrong place to begin with, blame a prior owner, and not checking.
I'm not blaming the car.. I know it's my fault for not really combing through the car. But oh well.. I guess this'll Be on the "to do" list. I wonder if it's required to have the mirror on that driver door.. I don't want to drive around like that.

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 AM

Move the mirror back an install a chrome aircraft pitot tube in the extra hole to measure wind speed.

1970 Sportsroof.
Parked in 1977 resurrected in 2015.
Original 302-2V, C4 trans, and 2.79 open differential.
Manual drums, manual steering.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:54 PM

I had extra holes from my Shelby bullit mirrors being removed.

You can take a Q-Tip and dip it in some leftover touch-up paint and dab it in the holes. Let dry a few days or week and do again til the hole gets filled. Took me several months altogether and now it's been 30 years. All good.
Huntingky and 66/93project like this.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not an idiot bro..
Bro? You in high school?
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66conv6 View Post
I had extra holes from my Shelby bullit mirrors being removed.

You can take a Q-Tip and dip it in some leftover touch-up paint and dab it in the holes. Let dry a few days or week and do again til the hole gets filled. Took me several months altogether and now it's been 30 years. All good.
I actually thought about this as a possible "fix" before.. it's good to hear someone's done it! Thanks

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage
That's a bummer man. If I had to guess, maybe the dealer installed it wrong back in the day.
2nd 66 likes this.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Well, my car is just about complete.. doing final details... I planned on only adding the driver mirror since passenger wasn't drilled for it.
I installed the mirror not realizing HOW FAR FORWARD it sits! My god I wish I was more familiar with vintage mustangs when I bought this car! I would've had the existing screw holes welded up so I could place the mirror where it should be.. as of now, it's at the front of the vent window.. where it serves NO purpose because I have to peek through the vent window to see the mirror.

Now I can't really cover up the holes without have to paint the door again...

Sorry for the rant.. just frustrated as this car has been giving me hell since day one. She really didn't wanna come back from the dead.
I had the same issue. I hated the original location of my side mirror (pic 1). Replaced mirror with pony style mirror and put it in the right location. Down side is I have two sore spots to look at until I have body work done to fix it. (pic 2).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang side mirror discrepancy.jpg (77.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170301_160148.jpg (86.1 KB, 45 views)

1965 Ford Mustang, A-code Coupe
WimbledonWhite, Red interior
Automatic with 302 engine
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
That's a bummer man. If I had to guess, maybe the dealer installed it wrong back in the day.
Seen that one before.....
My parents picked up our '68 from the dealer with only the driver's side mirror. A few months later we were towing a small boat
and they wanted a right side mirror installed, so back to the dealer to get one fitted. The genius who did it has the right side
moved back about 2.5" more than the other side. (just measured it today)
Makes it hard to get enough angle to adjust the mirror to make it useful. Gotta love people......
I modded the mirror a few years ago with a Dremel to get more adjustment.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:22 PM

Garage
This is the location of mine, and it had the hole for the cables as it is a inside remote control. So I left it where it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side mirror location.JPG (67.4 KB, 33 views)

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldog View Post
I bet you could get away with repainting the "channel" the mirror is in if you really wanted move it back.
You are quite right. Repainting the top of the door would be child's play for a pro. Heck, I could do it.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM

if all my job's could be that easy.

"Oklahoma Street Machines"
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I actually thought about this as a possible "fix" before.. it's good to hear someone's done it! Thanks
I've done it a few times myself. Almost like filling a chip in the paint.

"Oklahoma Street Machines"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page