Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Distressed-look or Patina Mustangs

110K views 477 replies 102 participants last post by  2nd 66 
#1 ·
VMFrs,
I just went through 68 pages of 1964-66 Mustangs sold at Mecum Auctions over the last many years. 99.9% of them were beautifully restored mustangs that looked brand new. What I realized though is that the distressed-look (patina or faux-patina) mustangs caught my eye big time!

Pic 1: A beautiful faux-patina'd mustang.
Pic 2/3/4: A beautiful patina'd mustang sitting from 1977-2014 sold at Mecum Auctions. Its a 1966 Ford Mustang SCCA Sedan group 2 Race Car built by Shelby.

So this got me to thinking of a request and a question:

Request: Share your best naturally occurring patina or faux-patina mustangs that still LOOK GREAT.

Question: Does anyone know of any paint/body professionals who know how to give a car a beautiful faux-patina look?

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Original patina looks cool on cars.
I saw a show where they made a car look old and weathered, they didn't get it right.
The work it looked fake, wear and scuff marks in the wrong places.
It's gotta wear from the top down.
I guess you could start with like a red oxide on the top, fade to a primer gray, and then finish the sides with the choice of color, hit the transition paint lines with a sander and then clear coat it.

Attachments

#11 ·
Sorry but patina Mustang is an oxymoron.
Stan

#19 ·
Just my opinion, but I think fake patina is lame. If a car has history and shows it, that's fine, but faking it is just that: fake.

On a different level, with few exceptions, I don't really care for post-63 cars in patina. Just doesn't look as right as an older car might.

#24 ·
My hardtop still wears it's original paint. I was at a local car show a couple of years ago and probably could have won best paint by the way people reacted to a rust free Mustang with blotchy metallic paint worn down to the red oxide on the high spots. Throw in a drivers door with paint chips from end to end, probably from a ticked off significant other that hated it and parked next to it. Just guessing, but been married for a while.

It's in the garage under fluorescent lighting so I'm unable to give a good overall view.

Attachments

#28 ·
I'm going to be scuffing and clearing.. Need to re order all of the trip clips first.

I've had this 65 since 94

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: evantugby
#29 · (Edited)
I run mine in a stock patina, its actually pretty rough but consistent which is the key to getting patina right. The rust on the trunk lid is what surprisingly everyone likes. I cannot tell you how many events I used to say, yea I'll paint it some day only to hear "it looks pretty cool as it is, I wouldn't do anything to it". What makes my car work is that the chrome/SS is beautiful. These daze I don't even contemplate paint any more. Somewhere in the mod forum there is a post of a autocross video that has some video my wife took showing the outside in the middle third of the video if you are that curious. Search Autocross from Hell.

I think Mustangs with patina are very relatable to the common man. I look at the fine Mustangs posted here and have no concept of being able to relate to having such a fine specimine and what i would do to one of my kids that leaned a bicycle against it or dropped a basketball on it. The downside is all the interest in buying it cause many think it might sell cheap.

Btw its really fun stomping you fender-shiners on race day with my trusty old beater. ;o)

#30 ·
I can appreciate a car with "patina" by an owner who put effort into it. This can include painting/detailing like it was old or even some thorough cleaning and trying to bring back/preserve the original parts/finish.

I struggle to appreciate the car with an owner who calls it "patina" that is nothing more than an owner too lazy to try to clean it up or fix problems.

#31 · (Edited)
Here are a bunch of photos of my 69 showing the patina. My favorite is the area right behind the driver's side door mirror where the original owner rested his arm while he was cruising. The gray areas are caused by oxidation of the paint. You see them around the creases in the metal on the hood, the quarter scoop, etc. It give the car this kind of halo effect which is really neat.

https://goo.gl/photos/b9wDZKjaukytHQMB6

david

#32 ·
There was a meme going around awhile back of a cool painting of a granny looking old woman in a rusted out Mustang pulled over by a cop. Tried to find it but no luck.

#33 ·
Ok just a little more, a little more.....and maybe that was too much patina

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.