Vintage Mustang Forums banner

69 chrome GT/steel style wheels?

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  22GT 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to upgrade the GT wheels on my 68 GT coupe from the painted argents to chrome. It's a 390 car so it has discs up front and a conversion kit of discs on the rear. Pretty sure the current painted wheels have Ford 8mk on them.

I recently got a used set of chrome wheels and had some tires mounted on them today and went to install and found out they have 8mf on them and won't work with the discs!

Anyone know for sure what code I should be looking for?
I have a 67 I'm working on with front discs and it has chrome 68/69 wheels on it that are coming but off so I'd assume at least the fronts on that car should work on my 68.

Thanks for any thoughts and advise.

#2 ·
The only stamped marks on my 69 Mach1 styled steel wheels is AB.

#3 ·
I had a 68 GT Coupe back in the 80's that had factory disc brakes on it & when I put on different wheels I saved styled steel wheels. I converted my 69 Coupe to power disc brakes & I put the SS wheels on my current project 69 Coupe & they clear the calipers which BTW are the 4 piston Kelsey/Hayes. I checked on the front of the wheels between 2 of the holes for the lug nuts the wheels are stamped Ford & then under that it says 8mf.

#4 ·
Did they make chrome style steel wheels in 68?
I thought the chrome ones were 69s?

The painted ones (that work) on my 68 have the Ford logo and 8mk and the chrome ones have 8mf.
I have another one in the shop with 9me on it but have not tested that one yet.
I also have 2 chrome ones with nothing on them that don't work with the discs.

The calipers on the rear of the car look smaller than the factory K/Hs ones up front.

#10 ·
I always thought 68s got argents and 69s got chrome.
I recently sold a all original 68 Gt Fastback (it's in the for sale section) that had the original wheels in the trunk when I got it. They are painted argent.

Back to the original issue tho and the chromes not clearing the rear calipers.
When I got the car back in 1994 it had Shelby 10 spokes on it. I let the seller keep those and I got the argent steel wheels from Bill Herdon.
It's been so long since then I can't recall if we told him the car had a rear disc conversion kit on it....but those wheels are the same wheels still on the car today.

I'll double check the codes today on both sets. I'll also try putting on the other chrome one I have with code 9me on it.

Odd to me that the argents that have been on the car since 1994 work just fine but the chrome ones I recently bought don't.
Maybe the issue is the rear disc kit...but if that was the issue you'd think the argents on the car currently would have issue too.

#12 ·
I think we're all seen the Ford brochure wasn't always 100% correct.
I have no reason to believe the argents wheels on the 68 Gt Fastback in my garage currently are not the original ones.
The argent spare still has the factory tire on it.

Not a big deal tho since I'm not worrying too much about that right now for the matter of this thread.

#14 ·
Pete what's the wow part for!? You think I'm crazy because I don't agree 100% that all 68 GTs came with chrome wheels?
I just read someone else that if you got the reflective C stripe the wheels were argent.
A lot of mixed info out there on this topic.

I think saying just because the brochure shows a pic of chrome wheels doesn't mean it's the end all be all.
We've seen before where Ford has published docs that were not always 100% accurate, right?
I have no reason to believe the argent wheels on the 68 GT in my garage are original to the car.

#15 ·
Just messed around with the car and wheels a little more.
The fronts go on fine and spin freely. Factory KH calipers up front.
Checked the rears again. Ford KHs caliper out back.
I had another chrome wheel laying around with 9me on it.
Slapped that on the back and it spins freely.

My conclusion is the 2 chromes I tried yesterday on the rear must have a different back spacing than the argents that are on the rear now that spin freely.
For kicks I did try them again and they are hitting the caliper.
Guess I need to keep searching for 2 more chromes that will spin freely.

#17 ·
Yes, I know. Someone added a rear disc conversion kit around 1988.
I'll try to get a pic next weekend.

#19 ·
Finally got around to messing with the coupe again this weekend.
I added another spacer (I know, not the best solution but it solves the problem for now) to get some more clearance and they spin freely now.
Pics of the rear KH disc set up attached along with the chrome wheels

Attachments

#20 ·
As far as that I've ever heard... Chrome Styled Steel Wheels were only available on 1969 cars. A "8MF" code decifers as:

8 = 1968
M = MotorWheel Corp.
F = (June 1968)

It is possible that they could have been a Mid-Year 1968 Offering causing the confusion. The correct Person to ask would be Bob Perkins. Bob would have the "EXACT" Answer. Jeff Speegle might know as well.

:eek:)

Tony K.

#21 ·
The other chromes I have in garage (not as nice as the ones currently on the car) have the 9 starting date and the one I tested fit fine without the added spacer.
I'm not gonna comment again on when chromes were available. I wouldn't want Pete to get upset with me again haha

G
#24 ·
The chrome were available in '68. Being ignorant and adamant doesn't make you right. I'm not saying they were available in the beginning of '68. But certainly when the '68 1/2 was available, the chrome were too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.